Author Topic: 77 Stepside Project  (Read 24122 times)

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
    • 77 Chevy Stepside Restoration
77 Stepside Project
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
I am new to this forum but really enjoying the posts and information. I bought this truck in 93 after it was totally restored. 70,000 miles later it became a project again due to cab corners, rockers, fenders and floor pan rusting. Engine was tired too. Engine has been rebuilt and sitting on a stand awaiting the body work being completed. Will have all new fenders, box and oak bed with stainless strips. Paint will be the same 77 Vette yellow. Check photobucket link for old and new pictures as I put it back together. Hoping to have it on the road by June. http://s651.photobucket.com/albums/uu237/Chevystepsidepu/

I made a mistake putting this in members rides and trying to delete and put it under projects. Help with delete please. Sorry

Offline oldwhity

Re: 77 Stepside Project
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:21:01 PM »
Nice truck and welcome from Maryland.
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Nice project you have there and welcome.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!! I think it will be a nice truck when it is done. Trying to get it back to being just a good looking and running truck. Never had aspirations that it would be a show truck. These trucks all seemed to rust away and end up junk so I thought I would keep it. Had a buy offer of $4,500 by a guy 4 years ago and didn't sell it. Now that I will have way more than that in it I wonder what I was thinking to keep it. LOL

Anyone know the production numbers on the 4X4 Stepside? I wonder how many are still alive and well.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
Anyone know the production numbers on the 4X4 Stepside? I wonder how many are still alive and well.
No one can answer this question on any particular setup.  Several of us have questioned GM on it and they aren't talking.
These were the longest running series of Chevy's ever, I can assure you there are a TON on the road still..

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:46:40 AM »
I imagine there are a bunch out there. Years ago I had a book I bought that had chevy car production numbers. I had a 68 SS 396 Chevelle at the time and I was able to get the numbers for that year on that particular car. Not sure where the book is now. Had been 20 plus years ago and not sure where the publisher got the numbers.

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Web album pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
I decided to store some of the pictures I took when doing the tear down in a Picasa Web album. I have somewhere around 400 detailed pictures now. I knew I would never remember how each piece went back together. I have Chiltons but thought I could just set up the laptop in the garage and when I got stuck, look at the pictures. If anyone is interested, here's about 90 pictures. http://picasaweb.google.com/mtnriderlinc/77ChevyStepsideProject#

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Updated Web Album
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »
Woke up early this morning thinking about this project and decided it was time to organize all of the photos I have taken since I started on this in 06. Took a couple of hours to get rid of duplicates and put the pictures in some sort of order. I decided to update the album on Picasa so the old link in the last post is likely defunct. Here is the new one if anyone is interested. Hope to keep this album clean and add new photos as the truck comes together. http://picasaweb.google.com/mtnriderlinc/77ChevyStepsideRestoration#

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »
Added a link in my signature to a Google web site I created for my truck. Nothing special but there is some narrative on the home page. I am sure by now you know this is not a high $$$$, show truck restoration. Just rebuilding an old friend back to respectable appearance and driveability.

I hope I am not being a pain with my posts!! May have too much time on my hands. LOL

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Getting closer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
Well, after many months the body shop guy and I are finally going to strip the cab and doors on the truck. Talked to him yesterday and he wants me to be there Monday to start on it. This is the last big hurdle on the way to getting it painted. One more coat of varnish on the bed boards and they are ready. Have to paint/dye interior pieces and then decide what to do about the seat. Although excited about the truck being painted, I realize I have a long ways to go and lots of $$$$ before the key is turned but there is light at the end of the tunnel.;D

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Update
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
Took the doors off the truck and got the primed. Drivers door was worse than we thought so Randy ended up having to use a little bondo to repair the bottom of the door. Had been banged up somehow and had dents that had to be filled. He welded the mirror mounting holes so I can put on some different mirrors. Since I am new to body work, I am learning. I was intimidated by body work but after spending a little time at it, I find it is not that tough. If I ever do another project, I think I will be able to do more of the work myself.
We didn't get to the cab because he has other jobs that he committed to doing. He also drag races so he was in Spokane, Washington last weekend with one of his cars. New track and the car hooked too well so he did wheelies and couldn't get it dialed in right to keep in on the track. Runs an 800 plus hp 502 in a Mustang II. We have fun because he is all about Fords and and of course, I am all about Chevy's.
Heading back to Lincoln on Monday to start on the cab. New tailgate arrived yesterday so I now have all of the parts for the box. One more coat of varnish on the bed boards and they are done. More later.     

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Upates
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »
 ;D Spent a couple of days working on the truck this week and I am pleased with how the cab is turning out. I decided to remove the cab lights so the holes were welded up and the roof looks really good. Sandblasted the firewall and got all of the undercoating off that had been sprayed all over it in the last restoration. Came back home and working on cleaning up the brake booster and master cylinder and other parts. The fresh air vents need new gaskets so I have them all apart too. Minor detailing or sanding and painting parts seems to be endless. About the time I feel good that I am making progress, I notice something else that needs attention.  >:( Oh well, you guys have all been through it so I am preaching to the choir. Sorry. Heading back to Lincoln late next week for more block sanding and prep work. Going to cut in the doors and jams. Have the base coat paint and clear now so should not be too long before the "real" painting begins. Whew!!

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 05:56:35 AM »
Got any pics of the progress?
Rob G.

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
Yes, click on the google web link in my postings or use this.  http://picasaweb.google.com/mtnriderlinc/77ChevyStepsideRestoration#
There are photos of the body work and interior color changes. I have painted all of the interior pieces and they turned out great in my opinion. Heading to the body shop on Thursday to cut in the doors and firewall with single stage. Body guy says we will have it all painted in two weeks in between his other jobs. Watch for some of those pictures the week of June 1st. I have revised my finish date to mid July. Darn. Wanted it done by the 4th but unlikely.

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
It's coming along. Looks great!
Rob G.