Author Topic: Instrument Panel Issues...  (Read 5210 times)

Offline lokkju

Instrument Panel Issues...
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:31:14 AM »
So my Cluster is acting very odd - here are some of the symptoms:
  • My turn signals work correct when the running lights are off, but when the headlights or running lights are on, the cluster indicator for which direction I'm turning is opposite of the lever.
  • When the turn signal is on, the gas gauge and voltage gauge "bounce" with the flashing of the turn indicator
  • The cluster illumination lights don't work, and they are all new

Does this reveal anything in specific I might look at?  I've checked to make sure the ground is connected down on the fire wall, next to the steering column, and I've checked to make sure the cluster connector is all the way plugged in.

Thanks

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Instrument Panel Issues...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
it def sound like a ground prob i would also look at the turn sig lights them self
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline dustin neal rose

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »
I understand that you checked the connection, but i have an 86 and i had the EXACT same problem!!!
Everything you describe to a T. What i ended up doing was unplugging my panel and taking a small sharpened nail and scraping all of my connections a little bit, then put a dab of inhibitor greaso on them. Plugged it back up and it worked like it was supposed to.  Just to confirm it to be the same problem, when you have the headlights on dim does it show they are on bright on the instrument panel and visa-versa?
Hope this helps

Offline lokkju

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:52 AM »
YES!  it does!  I'll try that in the morning...

Offline lokkju

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
No such luck.  tried it, but it is still doing the same thing.
I'm thinking I am going to go through all the lighting wiring first, since it seems to be related to when the lights are on...

Offline dustin neal rose

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
It would probably be a good idea to change out the instrument panel with another one and make sure it is not a broken connection an the inside of the plug. Also, there is a black ground wire on the back of the far right light plug that goes under the dash towards the ash tray. I know you checked the one going to the ground block above the park brake pedal, but did you chech the other one? 

I am just trying to save you some trouble because i did the whole checking every light wire thing and all that before i found out it was the cluster.  The problem is a bad "loop" in the wiring, i would def. try a different cluster if i could get my hands on one.

Offline lokkju

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
I have three clusters;  the problem exists with them all.

I need to rewire my headlights anyway, the wiring is mostly electrical tape at this point, and I really don't like electrical tape.  I mean, come on, butt connectors at the least.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Don't get us start on butt connectors. ;D LOL
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline dustin neal rose

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
Well, i am out of ideas . Just let us know what you find out.

Offline lokkju

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
I found a brown/white wire on top of the steering column that had shorted against at least two other wires - looks like bad insulation.  I'm working on getting up in there to replace it - we'll see what else I find...

Offline lokkju

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »
So I finally got around to trying to work on the wiring, and found that there are about 6-7 wires fused to each other.  Essentially, it looks like the entire bundle of wires that goes from the fuse block to the plugs on top of the steering column is toast.

I would like to keep the same color wires, so don't want to do a DIY wiring harness - so unless someone can suggest someplace that sells new ones, I see my only option as pulling a used set from the junk yard.

One thing I would like to avoid is it happening again - is there anything specific I should check before replacing the wiring?

Thanks!

Offline Layne

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 02:03:02 AM »
Grab a Painless wiring harness. They label their wires every foot or so and I hear their really high quality
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline lokkju

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:26 AM »
I didn't see anything but the full replacement kits, and I don't want to drop $600+ on just wires