Author Topic: BBC Power Steering Pump Brackets - Does this look right?  (Read 13774 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

BBC Power Steering Pump Brackets - Does this look right?
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
I put this together like shown in the pictures, bolted it onto the block and when looking down on the pulley it appears to be at an angle instead of  in-line with the other pulleys?

There was a empty space between the rear pump housing and the stud where it bolts to the bracket so I put a spacer between the back of the pump and the inner portion of the open hook portion of the rear bracket so when I tighten down the rear nut on the stud it just doesn't collapse the bracket.

Does this look right?  Or do I have the wrong BBC brackets or the wrong pump?  The pump is a reman from NAPA but it matches the Power Steering Pump I received with the brackets from Chris on this forum.

There's a spacer between the left hand bolt hole of the below bracket and the front of the pump.

I put a spacer between the back of the pump and the inner portion of the bracket to fill the empty space.

???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:43:23 PM by Mike Phillips »

Offline ccz145a

Re: BBC Power Steering Pump Brackets - Does this look right?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:41:23 AM »
Looks good to me. The real test is to put it on and see if it aligns with the other pulleys. You may have to shim at the various mount points.

1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
That is correct, but I never had a spacer and mine was straight did you "eye" it or did you put a rope/string/belt around it?

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:37:07 PM »
That is correct, but I never had a spacer and mine was straight did you "eye" it or did you put a rope/string/belt around it?

Hi Chris,

I eyed it up and placed an oversize v-belt on it and then eyed that up.  It definitely looks crooked but I've unassembled everything and next will reassemble everything and install it again and then check it again.  I will also go get the right size v-belts for the power steering pump and alternator to check for sure.

The brackets I'm using are the brackets I bought off of eBay as they were all in brand new shape, painted and ready to bolt on.  I matched them up to the ones I received from you and they were identical in every way so I'm very confident that the brackets are good brackets, I just think that I have the wrong style pump even though I took the pump you sent me to NAPA and they guys got me the exact same pump only remanufactured and ready to run.

If after re-installing this bracket/pump system if it doesn't look aligned I'm either going to have to get a different pump or find a different set of brackets.  Whatever it takes to make it go as this project is running too long and it's now taking up my father/son time go camping and fishing.

So again, if anyone reading this has been down this road and knows of the right pump #number or a set of aftermarket brackets that will fit this standard Chevy power steering pump please feel free to post that information.

:)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »
I would say the pump is correct.  I would just shim it to fit.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
I had to shim my original brackets since they got bent somehow, I never took off the pulley to see how they were bent, just shimed about 3/8" of 1/2" washers between the bracket and the waterpump and dreading the day I have to line all that back up again. Belt runs straight now. Of course, it was crooked for 18 years and 72K miles :) so you have some leeway.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline whiteysuburban

• New Users
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
I am dealing with some of the same issues and i was wondering if you have the part number for the pump in the pics or if you know what year make and model it came on.