Author Topic: homemade suede dash  (Read 7957 times)

Offline lucki17

homemade suede dash
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »
my dash is messed up! it has chunks out of it.... lol. but when i bought it it came with an extra dash pad (not in good shape, but at leat its not missing as much  ::) )anyway it is snowing here so i cant paint anything so i decided to take a shot a recovering it, its just temporary but i didnt want to spend more that $50 and i did it! actually it all cost under $30 ;) here are a bunch of pics, tell me what you guys think... the first ones are of it freshly out of the closet. (where i have keep my spare parts to keep the lady happy haha )

Offline lucki17

Re: homemade suede dash
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
here are some pics after trim was out and i gave it a good scrub with a scotch pad, it changed color! and lost some vinyl/foam. oh well...

Offline lucki17

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
i posted pics of it done but i guess they didn't work, lets try it again... its actually black even though it looks blue, i think it looks pretty good. cant really see the suede effect in the pics but its cool in person. let me know what ya think!

Offline treestandjunkie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
I think it looks good. And it sure beats payin 300 for a new one.

Offline three8six

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
I was told by an old Aircraft painter that was the direction to go as far as fiberglassing the steel frame was to use a stretchy material and just soak it with resin and let it dry and sand....etc........

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
I'd love to see some more detailed pics.  How did you attach the fabric?  Did you cover the dash pad in foam first.  I want to do this!!!
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline lucki17

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
I'd love to see some more detailed pics.  How did you attach the fabric?  Did you cover the dash pad in foam first.  I want to do this!!!

sorry only have a camera phone, lol. i just cleaned it real good let it dry for a few days, then used all-purpose spray adhesive from checker, i was skeptical at first but once i sprayed it i knew it would hold. it is way stronger then i though it would be, one word of advise if you want to do this is do it on a spare dash because once the glue is on there is pretty much no way to get it off. at first i started with the top, but couldnt do the gauge hump, so i took it off and tried doing the hump first and the top last and that worked way better.  also the fabric i used was really strechy (fake suede). i would have liked to put foam on it before but the fabric store i went to didnt have the right kind and i didnt feel like driving around to find it, so i just glued it to the vinyl. like i said its only temporary till i get the dash pad i really want. glad you like it!