Author Topic: Only One Crossmember?  (Read 7795 times)

Offline frickenbored

• Registered Users
  • 383 Beast
Only One Crossmember?
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
I'm putting my drivetrain all back together and I noticed something.  I have an np203 and the only thing that keeps this in the truck is the one crossmember at the back of the transmission.  Why isn't there another crossmember at the rear of the transfer case?  All that holds this huge t case is the 8 bolt on the 203's face?

Heres what I'm talking about:

This crossmember is the only think that holds the np203 up?  Am I maybe missing a second crossmember?

And in this picture you can see little one inch spacers between the frame and trans/t case crossmember.  They were there when I bought this truck so I just put them back.  Are these normal?  Or could it have been an attempt at a transfer case lowering kit, even though the truck is not lifted.

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
Re: Only One Crossmember?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »
You are right someone has tried to make a homemade drop kit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:25:25 AM by Chevalade »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:34:07 PM »
Those spacers are not factory. And the cross member you have is the only one. There is none for the transfer case. I have seen some them with a piece of angle iron that bolts to the right side of the case and to the frame with rubber bushings between the frame and angle iron stock.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »
i have them spacers on my 94 4x2 but they are on top the frame don't actually do anything but make it so you can use a half inch longer bolt, i don't even think i seen a transfer case support on a 203 just on a 208 that was a bar that ran from the case to a bell housing bolt and lets say whoeven took the bolts out didn't see it eather so it kind of cracked the bell housing
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:29:26 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 74k20

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »
I just took a 203 out of a '77 1/2t, and working on my '74.  I also had those spacer under the nuts inside the frame on the '77.  I'll check my '74 tonight.  The '77 had only one crossmember under the trans, but the '74 has an extra side support brace connected to the side of the t-case and frame.  I'll shoot a picture tonight if I get home in daylight.

Good luck.

MJ

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
The earlier trucks, 73, 74ish, came with a transfer case "L" bracket, but newer trucks are just like what you have there, as do I. One crossmember, under the back of the transmission, nothing holding the transfer case besides the bolts. Nice, huh?

As for the crossmember drop, that is what I have on my truck as well. Just 4 aluminum blocks. Skyjacker is who I got mine from.

Offline frickenbored

• Registered Users
  • 383 Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »
so i can just leave those spacers?  I do plan on lifting the truck so I guess I would have needed them eventually.

Heres a picture of everthing together:

To me it just looks weird, its just hanging there, but whatever thats how it was when I got it and I beat the crap out of that truck and the t case didn't go anywhere.  I'll have to decide on if I should scrap those spacers or not, what are your opinions?