Author Topic: cab rust repair  (Read 11851 times)

Offline mrh70

cab rust repair
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
thought I would share a few pics. I dont have pics of the pass. side but it was almost as bad. I wanted to make sure the main structural metal was new before pulling the cab. I should have the outer rocker finished and be able to pull the cab this weekend.

1982 chevy 1/2 ton 2 WD-long bed

Offline Goobzilla

Re: cab rust repair
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:43:23 AM »
Looking good!  I need to do the outer rocker on my truck.  Did you use a spot weld cutter to remove the old one?

Offline mrh70

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
Looking good!  I need to do the outer rocker on my truck.  Did you use a spot weld cutter to remove the old one?

I did use a spot weld cutter. I got the cheap one from harbor freight and I was concerned how long it would last but it has held up well. I also use my rotozip with a metal cutoff wheel.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Really looks like a nice job.  I can't even tell where you welded in your floor pans.  You've got some bad rust there, though.  I hope you don't run into more areas that are difficult to fix.  Kudos.

Offline mrh70

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Really looks like a nice job.  I can't even tell where you welded in your floor pans.  You've got some bad rust there, though.  I hope you don't run into more areas that are difficult to fix.  Kudos.

Thanks for the kind words. Its just alot of patience and taking things slow. tack, let it cool to the touch and repeat, grind smooth. The cab does have alot more rust than I would like to deal with but the truck was free and there is a lot of sentimential value for my wife. It was her grandpa's truck. I just replaced the area at the dome light switch on the door frame due to rust through and now I'm tackling rust through on the upper door frame where it meets the roof skin. mounting the driver door back this weekend and I'm going to have to remove a section of room to get to that rot. I'm just taking one bad spot at a time.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »
Looks good. Slow and easy are the key for sure.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »
Looks good. Slow and easy are the key for sure.

x2

take the time to get it right before moving on or worrying about the next bit!
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*