Author Topic: Np203 questions  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Squatch427

Np203 questions
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
I broke the weird twin stick setup on my truck this weekend (first time using it). And I'm going to put a stock setup back in it. But my question is the shift box what keeps the truck locked in 4wd? Or should i say does it have the internal locks like a Np205 does? Because my shift levels on the t-case move smoothly back and forth with no ratcheting like a Np205. And if you lock it in by hand on the case it drops out of 4wd as soon as the load on it is gone. The guy that built the twin stick setup gutted the stock shift box to make his setup so i have no idea how the stock one works.
76 Chevy Step Side 4x4 with 3/4 ton axles
96 Ford Mustang GT the Hot Rod
00 Pontiac Sunfire The Wifes Wheels
05 Chevy crew cab Silverado 4x4

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Np203 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
A 203 from the factory is fulltime 4 wheel drive, the shifter just moved from Lo Loc - Lo - N - Hi - Hi Loc.

Offline Squatch427

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
This one has a part time kit in it. The last owner broke the factory shifter set up. And gutted the shifter stuff to make it a twin stick. Why he did that is beyond me.  ::)

So one shifter locked the Diff in the case and the other one selected Low, Neutral and High range.

But I broke it this last weekend on the first trail i was heading up. The thing i was wondering does the transfer case have internal stops or locks like say an auto trans has for every gear? Or does the linkage lock it in? Because with the linkage removed and moving just the shafts sticking out of the transfer case it doesn't click and lock into each range or 4wd. You can pull the linkage to the Diff. But if you work the driveshaft back and forth the lever works its way back out. I'm just worried there is damage in the case i need to address.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
     If I understand your question right, there is no "locks" internally to lock into each gear or into high and low range.  As far as the PO putting twin sticks in a 203, there was a trend for awhile so you could "lock" in low range 2 wd using the tnsfr case without locking the front axle in.  Good for certain slow movements that you only needed the rear axle for....
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Squatch427

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
Cool just what i wanted to know.  :D

Offline The dream

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
Two questions about the np 203:
1- Is there a simple way of knowing if the t-case has had a "kit" installed?
2- Ive heard that if you have a stock 203 t-case its ment to always be in 4 wheel drive... so i shouldnt drive it unlocked and in Neutral?
Never give up.

Offline NevadaNeal

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
Old post i know,But ill chime in. Twin sticking the 203 is the best thing you can do for that particular t-case aside from the part time kit. You cant just swap shifters if its already been converted. The shift rails inside the case also must be returned to stock.
I converted my Dodge to twin stick and i could not have been happier with the result. Here's a link to the guys that sell them.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/transfercaseshifters.htm

Offline The dream

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »
thanks ill look it up  8)
Never give up.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
If you have the kit installed you can have it unlocked and the front hubs unlocked and she will still move. And if you have the kit drive it unlocked and every now and then lock it up and use the 4 wheel drive to move the oil around a little
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes