Author Topic: 8" lift, how much tire can i cram in there?  (Read 12336 times)

Offline Laird006

8" lift, how much tire can i cram in there?
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
I have an 87 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd with an 8" lift kit, all spring, no blocks.

How much tire can I fit on this truck, it has 37-13.50s on it now and clears them by a mile.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 8" lift, how much tire can i cram in there?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
What set up do you have as in trans ratio and axles? What do you plan on doing?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Laird006

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
th400. 208 transfer case. 10 bolt and 14 bolt sf. 4.11 gears. whatever breaks will be swapped for better. gonna be a mud truck

long term plans are 205 transfer case swap. dana 60 and 14 bolt ff rear with 4:88 or 5:13 gears. 500hp 383cu motor

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
This truck has a 6" suspension lift/3" body lift and Super Swamper 38.5"x14.5R15's on it.
The P.O. wheeled it hard and this tires did hit the front fenders, could have used some trimming.   

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »
does it have a body lift? i don't see it clearing 38's by a mile if not
heres mine with a 6" and 3" body with fender trimming kind of like you said it clears them by a mile

heres a pic of my buds blazer with 44s i think and only 4" lift with fender trimming

now with mine i could clear 38's with out trimming fenders but not much more if you only have 8" i would think the max would be 40s if you have 3" body I'm thinking 44s

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Laird006

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »
wonder if cutout flares will get me enough room for some 40s?

this is my truck by the way, 37-13.5s on 17x10s

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:43:05 AM by Laird006 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
I wouldn't cut the fenders if not necessary I would buy some 40s first then see how much you need to do maybe an inch or two body lift. But the fenders have to be done right if you want it to look good even then you might not be happy with them

Offline Laird006

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »
bushwhacker cut out flares?

Offline 76 k10

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:45 AM »
i had my mud truck on a 8 can 39/15.00 was the biggest i could go with out rubin.

Offline 76 k10

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »
does it have a body lift? i don't see it clearing 38's by a mile if not
heres mine with a 6" and 3" body with fender trimming kind of like you said it clears them by a mile

heres a pic of my buds blazer with 44s i think and only 4" lift with fender trimming

now with mine i could clear 38's with out trimming fenders but not much more if you only have 8" i would think the max would be 40s if you have 3" body I'm thinking 44s
im sorry but i dont like when the fenders are cut that much you no you can get 12 inchs of lift out of 8 with no problems

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
That's what I was telling him. But no one has to say you have to like it just the owner has to like it with my fenders cut I can still throw 44s on it if I want to go mudding or keep 38s for the road

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
For what it's worth, the fenders on Irish's pickup and the blazer that he posted are the best fender trimming jobs that I have seen for these trucks. I really don't care for the bushwhacker flares because ultimately you still have to cut the sheetmetal and they shadow the tires by sticking out so far from the body. Unless you have enough wheel offset to bring the tire sidewalls out at least flush with the flares they don't look good.
Laird006: It doesn't really look like you have all that much room to go bigger and still have good clearance without trimming. I would decide how big of a tire that you want to run and then make it work. Right now your truck looks pretty awesome with 37's on it, and your paint job is too nice to start cutting sheetmetal. My $.02  :)
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline 76 k10

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
That's what I was telling him. But no one has to say you have to like it just the owner has to like it with my fenders cut I can still throw 44s on it if I want to go mudding or keep 38s for the road

i was talking about the blazer i like the way the truck looks but the blazer looks like someone just wanted to run big tires so they had a lil fun with the sawzal lol but the truck looks clean

Offline Laird006

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »
up close shes bubbled up around the fenderwells and the cab corners and rockers and the drives done is gone... my reasoning behind cutting.

Offline TonyInTopeka

• New Users
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
Man, there is NO WAY I'd cut that truck up, if I were you I'd do the needed body work and leave it alone, throw some 15'' wheels on it with some 38x16x15 swampers, paint it and call it good, go get some really rusted out beater to butcher with the sawzall bro!, haha