Author Topic: Found rust in all of the usual places, and in a few we didn't expect  (Read 17865 times)

Offline 80stepsideguy

Re: Found rust in all of the usual places, and in a few we didn't expect
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
And when the rot you covered spreads that piece you put on there will fall off..
Thats not a fix, but a temporary patch...

Its something you do when you dont have the money to fix it right...

Save the money and have it done right.Go find a donar truck. cut what you need, and weld it in by a body shop or a person that has a welder.Your going to make matters worse by that bubble gum repair..
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
BTW that truck looks great man, i like it, you did a sweet job on the body n the color choice... :o

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Cody1018

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
And when the rot you covered spreads that piece you put on there will fall off..
Thats not a fix, but a temporary patch...

Its something you do when you dont have the money to fix it right...

Save the money and have it done right.Go find a donar truck. cut what you need, and weld it in by a body shop or a person that has a welder.Your going to make matters worse by that bubble gum repair..

Im not starting body work until spring. Just looking to make it through winter and be drivable and reliable...
1986 Chevy K10 Silverado

Offline Teamchevy

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
Truck's looking gooood rainman15! I like your idea of the cart to move the box around. Do you have a clearer picture of it?

Dave

Offline rainman15

• Registered Users
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
Yes I have a bunch of pictures but I'm having some problems with my home computer and I can't hook anything (camera's etc) up to my network at work because it is a military system and they have a cow if someone tries to upload stuff on their servers.  Hopefully I'll be able to post them next week.

The bed base coat was sprayed with it on the cart so we could get the front of the bed and back of the cab without obstruction. The bed was loosely set on the frame with about a 6 inch gap when we sprayed the 2nd color. My buddy spent all day yesterday color sanding and buffing. I thought it looked fine straight out the gun but he is a perfectionist and wanted to get it slicker.

My new rear bumper came without any mounting hardware and nothing from the stock bumper would carry over so I had to buy a mounting kit yesterday.  The new sliding rear window is in and it looks great.  I'm actually glad I had to buy it now.  All the exterior trim is back on.  I bought new door mirrors so we need to measure and drill holes to mount, so that is the project for today while we wait for the bumper mounting kit.  I should be driving it again by Saturday.

Another thing I have learned now that the paint is done, trim that looked "decent" before with the old paint now looks like crap against the new paint. Items like the cargo light trim and lense, wheel opening trim, and the brake light lenses and trim are faded and weathered much worse than I originally thought, so that means yet another parts order is going to happen...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:09:27 AM by rainman15 »
84 GMC High Sierra 4x4 shortbed
09 GMC Sierra SLT
09 Mercedes Benz C-350
60 Chevrolet Impala

Offline Teamchevy

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
Yes I have a bunch of pictures but I'm having some problems with my home computer and I can't hook anything (camera's etc) up to my network at work because it is a military system and they have a cow if someone tries to upload stuff on their servers.  Hopefully I'll be able to post them next week.

Thanks - I'd like to see more pictures when you get everything working!  :)

The bed base coat was sprayed with it on the cart so we could get the front of the bed and back of the cab without obstruction. The bed was loosely set on the frame with about a 6 inch gap when we sprayed the 2nd color. My buddy spent all day yesterday color sanding and buffing. I thought it looked fine straight out the gun but he is a perfectionist and wanted to get it slicker.

My new rear bumper came without any mounting hardware and nothing from the stock bumper would carry over so I had to buy a mounting kit yesterday.  The new sliding rear window is in and it looks great.  I'm actually glad I had to buy it now.  All the exterior trim is back on.  I bought new door mirrors so we need to measure and drill holes to mount, so that is the project for today while we wait for the bumper mounting kit.  I should be driving it again by Saturday.

Another thing I have learned now that the paint is done, trim that looked "decent" before with the old paint now looks like crap against the new paint. Items like the cargo light trim and lense, wheel opening trim, and the brake light lenses and trim are faded and weathered much worse than I originally thought, so that means yet another parts order is going to happen...

Sounds like it's shopping time!!  8) I imagine that'll happen done the road to me as well!  ;)

Dave

Offline rainman15

• Registered Users
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
Mounted the new mirrors last night, did the pinstripe, put on the new lower moldings, installed all the lights and wheel well trim and moved it outside this morning for a look at the new paint in the sun.

Will mount the rear bumper and the hood later today.  The hood had a nice fish eye right in the center that was really deep so it couldn't be color sanded out so that had to be redone.

After I get it back to my house I'm going to give it a complete detail inside and out and use my wifes "good" camera to take better pictures.  I'm so excited to finally be wrapping this up!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:01:02 AM by rainman15 »
09 GMC Sierra SLT
09 Mercedes Benz C-350
60 Chevrolet Impala

Offline Teamchevy

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
Very nice rainman15! Must feel great to have it all coming together!!

Dave

Offline rainman15

• Registered Users
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
All done!  I drove down to the Outer Banks last night with my son to drop off our boat at our other house, and on the way back we stopped to pick up the truck.  I'm so happy with the way it came out.  I will continue to put the finishing touches I've discussed in previous updates on it over the next few weeks. The drive and ferry ride back was a lot of fun.  It was nice driving the old truck again.  Here are our pictures from today. I haven't detailed it yet, drove it straight out of the shop through a bunch of mud after we were done color sanding and buffing.  Detailing begins tomorrow if it warms up.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Pleased??? dang right!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Steve
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:09:21 PM by rainman15 »
09 GMC Sierra SLT
09 Mercedes Benz C-350
60 Chevrolet Impala

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
AWESOME!

Offline Teamchevy

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
Great job rainman15! Enjoy!!

Dave

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »

that is a quality looking truck dude!

lil mule not bad either  ;)
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
Well done. It was cool before, but now it looks showroom. That color scheme has always been my favorite.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »
Boy that paint job looks familiar!

Good job
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jim Rockford