Author Topic: wiring an aftermarket fuel gauge  (Read 13775 times)

Offline txchainsawgogi

wiring an aftermarket fuel gauge
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
my fuel gauge has never worked, and i've replaced the sending unit and the old split up wiring...and it still doesnt work.

can i wire the old one, or a new one independent of the original wiring?

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
Re: wiring an aftermarket fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:02:21 PM »
Can't say I've ever traced or re-wired a factory gauge. But I have installed a few aftermarket gauges, and they're easy.

My first recommendation is to check the ground from the factory gauge, and make sure it's connected to a good ground source.

As for the aftermarket gauges, like I said, easy. Just take a fused power wire from the ignition circuit to the gauge, then from the other side of the gauge run a wire to the sending unit, then ground the other side of the sending unit and the gauge will work. Then there's obviously the backlight to connect so you can see it at night. But any aftermarket gauge you buy will have instructions with it. You might even be able to tie it in to the factory wires, but like I said, I've never messed with the factory stuff much. They either work or get replaced with aftermarket.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
yeah ive had it with trying to fix the stock one. i replaced the sending unit and all the wiring. if its the printed circuit or a short i cant find...or the gauge itself, then i guess im better off buying a cheap sunpro that actually shows me some kind of reading

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
if you pull the factory gauge out you should be able to bench test it with alligator clips it should peg the needle full when grounded i believe

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
i replaced another wire that had a small fray in it today, and its pegged all the way. i dont understand seeing as i replaced a split wire that was totally touching the frame rail with one thats nice and clean and new.

stumped.