Author Topic: New member and pre-purchase questions  (Read 5097 times)

Offline daschlag

New member and pre-purchase questions
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Hi forum members, I've been looking around a little bit and there are some great trucks on this forum.  I'm new to this forum but not new to automotive forums in general.  Anyway I've been looking for a good weekend work truck for a while now, and I've found a good candidate, thought I'd check with y'all and see if you have any insight about this truck.  I found it on Craigslist (!), the owner has had it for about 4 years and used to be a transmission mechanic.  He has about 4 other trucks scattered around his yard but claimed this was his daily driver, and when he came home from work today to meet me, he was driving it.

It's a 1977 K20 with a small block 400 and the TH350.  It is almost completely stock.  Cheap white steel wheels, non-matching GMC tailgate, aftermarket headers, and a funky dual exhaust that puts the tailpipes between the doors and rear wheels on each side.  Other than that it's very stock.  It's not too pretty, there are some dents here and there and most of the trim is gone, but the paint isn't bad overall, very little rust, and the interior is pretty clean.  No holes in the original seats, glass is all good, everything works.  Full-time 4wd.  The engine bay is nice and neat, and other than the headers and a new battery, very stock as well.  There is a lot of grease on the valve covers and block but nothing you wouldn't expect from an old truck.  Starts right up, drives good, shifts smooth, brakes are okay, the seller is offering to put in a new master cylinder for me.

Is there anything specific I should look for that might be trouble later on?  I looked over the truck pretty well and saw nothing out of the ordinary.  Compared to a 1983 K5 I owned, the truck seems to be unmolested and ready to work.  Any tips, warnings, or encouragement you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: almost forgot, seller is asking $1400.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:15:02 PM by daschlag »
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: New member and pre-purchase questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
Price sounds fair per your description being a 4x4.  If it was in my area I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.  Welcome from NW Indiana...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline daschlag

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Zieg!  Yeah the last truck was bought out from under me while I hemmed and hawed...  But I never make an impulse buy so I'm sleeping on it.  Hopefully it will still be there tomorrow if I decide to go through with it. 
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:09:07 PM »
The only thing I would pay attention to is the engine. They can overheat/warp/crack more than other blocks. Oil in coolant/coolant in oil can happen. If the engine doesnt look like its been touched recently, as in valve covers, intake, or heads pulled, then at least he hasnt looked for a problem if there is one, which around here would be the suspect for the low price.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
     $1400.00 for a 3/4 ton 4x4 is a great price as you described it, Welcome from California
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline daschlag

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »
The only thing I would pay attention to is the engine. They can overheat/warp/crack more than other blocks. Oil in coolant/coolant in oil can happen. If the engine doesnt look like its been touched recently, as in valve covers, intake, or heads pulled, then at least he hasnt looked for a problem if there is one, which around here would be the suspect for the low price.
Yeah I was just reading about that.  The seller told me he's done nothing but oil changes in the 4 years he's owned it.  The oil looked normal, not the creamy foamy mess you can get with coolant leaks, but I'll double check the bottom of the filler cap and the coolant color tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up.
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline daschlag

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:29 AM »
     $1400.00 for a 3/4 ton 4x4 is a great price as you described it, Welcome from California
Thanks for the welcome!  California is sounding great right about now, rainy and grey as ever up here in Seattle. 
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline DustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
If it's as he describes it, I would probably buy it in a heartbeat!  My stepson had a '79 model equipped exactly as you described.  I really like the small block 400.  The 203 transfer case gets a bad rap as being weak but I don't believe it.  Part of that may be due to the fact some people put the wrong lubricant in it.  IIRC, it takes 10W-30 motor oil.  I would suggest you resist the urge to put in a "part-time" kit.  My stepson did put one in but received no gain in mpg.  IMHO, it's not worth the cost or labor involved. 
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.

Offline daschlag

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice, guys.  I went back this morning (with jeans on this time instead of wool slacks) and crawled around underneath, climbed into the engine bay, and took it for another spin.  It's uglier than I remembered, but it started right up from cold, warmed up, and drove great.  There was a little fresh oil on the bottom of the transmission, I'm guessing that means there might be a slight leak in the rear seal, but he parks it in his driveway and there is no oil there, so it didn't concern me much.  He's swapping the master cylinder now and I'm picking it up in an hour.  I'll post up some pics when I get it home, even though it definitely won't be winning any beauty contests.
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
At least with the part time kit in the 203, drivetrain parts dont wear out as fast and if there is ever a drivetrain problem in the front half, there is a better chance you can drive it home if there is a part time kit installed.

Offline daschlag

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
Here it is, for better or for worse.  It took me all of 15 minutes to put it to work, and fill it up with a tree I cut down last weekend.  It hasn't been washed in at least a year but I'll get to that.  I do love this truck though, it's ballsy, straight, and complete.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:44:03 AM by daschlag »
1977 K20 4x4 400 TH350

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:18 AM »
Great truck! Welcome from Az!
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered