Author Topic: Engine starts, then dies. Help, I'm stranded!  (Read 30083 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine starts, then dies. Help, I'm stranded!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
Stop over thinking it. This is about as simple as they get. What else is there? As already mentioned the pick up coil and ignition control module. The ESC module is for emissions spark control.

Back to basics:
Got spark?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rockable

• Registered Users
  • Truckin', like the do-dah man.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »
I'd have to assume so, since it would re-fire every time I tried.  It just wouldn't continue to run.  I could rev it up but it would not keep running.  It would just die like it ran out of fuel. 

I had a spare spark plug in my glove compartment for checking spark but since it had bee 3 mos, I forgot about it.  I'm willing to bet that I would have had spark.

VZ, does the fuel pump theory make sense to you?  Or is the fuel perhaps percolating in the carb?
'86 SWB Silverado

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
dont bet on anything yet spark would be the first thing to check then go from there.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
my guess, is electrical. also just because the computer module is in the cab doesnt mean the A/C is helping it stay cool.

the only thing i could think of relating to fuel is a problem i had one time after changing the rubber line that went from my brand new fuel sending unit to the hard metal fuel lines. even though the rubber line was rated for fuel the ethanol garbage octane i was using made the rubber super soft and weak, when my brand new fuel pump would get goin', the line collapsed under the pressure.

if i let the car rest a while it would start and drive like normal.