Author Topic: Replacing fuse box  (Read 26920 times)

Offline 82BlazerMan

• Blazer pics
Replacing fuse box
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
I'm thinking about replacing my fuse box.  Is this a big task?  Looks like just 4 bolts. 

A few of my fuse locations are a little on the iffy side.  I actually pulled the fuse the other day that controls the interior and parking lights and they stayed on.  I put the fuse back in and they went off.  I have to constantly wiggle the fuse to get it to stay in correctly.  It's tight, but I guess the inside of the fuse box is messed up.  Please advise.
 :-\
1982 Blazer 2WD
305ci
700R4

Offline winky

Re: Replacing fuse box
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »
i believe its those on the wall and then the one bolt on the fire wall (in engine bay) that bolts the engine harness to it. not exactly sure though. never done it before hopefully someone will come in with some better answers. you might also consider that you will have to install another harness or detach each wire and re-attach it to the new fuse box... like i said before not sure. but that's my two cents

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
If you are having issues with the current one, I would suggest replacing it.  Un-pinning the inside is fine, the bulkheads on the outside are a PAIN.

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
The mating side of the fuse box on the engine side of the firewall is attached with a single screw right in the middle of the square connector.
The fuse box itself in the interior is mounted to the firewall with just two screws kitty corner from each other.

Pulling a fuse and those lights stay on really blows me away. That would be very, very odd, and scary.
If you could isolate just the bad fuse holders, a person could bypass the fuse box and use an inline fuse instead. Just a thought.
I'm not sure how easy it is to change just the plastic block of the fuse box, but changing the entire wire harness could be time consuming.

Offline 82BlazerMan

• Blazer pics
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
Well shucks,  this is not good news.  I guess maybe I'll try my hand at taking it off just to have a look see.  Don't think I'll start detaching wires just yet.  Again, I'm really not looking forward to this one, so any pics and advise are greatly welcome.
1982 Blazer 2WD
305ci
700R4

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »
any pics and advise are greatly welcome.

Heck, tell me what you need pics of. I just changed my wire harness and I took some pics when I was disassembling and I still have the old wire harness too.
I'm sure I can help you out with something!!

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
Well here is what you'll run into.
I snapped a couple quick pictures this morning before work.
I'd never really split a fuse box apart before so I was curious too. There is a lot of wires there but the bottom of the fuse panel itself isn't as scary as I thought. In reality, there are like 4 main (larger) power supply wires. These wires are a common feed of electricity to multiple fuses. What I mean is let's say one of the larger feed wires is red. That red wire may actually feed 4 separate fuses.
So it's not like each and every fuse has a separate wire in and wire out.
Each separate fuse has a dedicated wire out, but may share a common feed. Does that make sense?
Some of the connections below are push on connectors but the majority of them are soldered or some kind of crimp connection.
I had an older vehicle once that the crimp connection at the fuse holder itself became loose and would intermittently lose its connection. I didn't want to tear apart the fuse box so I found what wire was giving me trouble, snipped it, bypassed the fuse box and installed the correct size of inline fuse holder and fuse.
Anyway, here are a few pics of the fuse box....

Face of a 1978 Chevy truck fuse box

Side view

View of the fuse box split apart. You can see the larger feed wires powering multiple fuses

Offline 82BlazerMan

• Blazer pics
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
Thanks Firefighter, that's just what I needed to read.  I have the newer style fusebox, but the pics and the response really help me get my confidense up that I can do it myself.  I also did some more searching and found some pics of my 82 style fusebox.  Check them out.
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/GMATOStyleFuseBlock.htm
1982 Blazer 2WD
305ci
700R4