Author Topic: question on lift and suspenison  (Read 3408 times)

Offline robertchevy77

question on lift and suspenison
« on: August 13, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
I WAS TALKING TO SOME MECHANIC BUT HE WAS IN A BIG HURRY SO ALL I HEARD WAS SOMETHING ABOUT ITS BETTER TO RAISE THE BODY THEN TO MESS AROUND WITH THE SUSPENISON BUT I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME THINK ITHOUGHT IF U WANT I RAISED THEN U HAVE TO SCREW AROUND WITH THE SUSPENSION IS THIS TRUE????

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: question on lift and suspenison
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
He is talking about a body lift.  Personally, I wouldn't use one, but that is just my opinion.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
I have a 1976 C10 Scottsdale that is in great shape, but the springs are a bit worn, I also have a 1980 Big Ten that has a shot body but great springs all around.  Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the springs from the 1980 and install them on the 1976?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 04:19:00 PM »
Are they both 2WD?
The Big 10 has HD springs that are 56" long.  Unless the '76 has the HD springs, you won't be able to swap them.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »
No idea.  If nothing else, I may just consider a body swap.

Offline bigblue86

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »
robertchevy,

personally I think that a suspension lift looks better, but a body lift is easier.  all it consists of is removing the old body mount bolts, adding the lift block spacers (usually 2-3") and reinstalling the new bolts supplied with the lift kit.   you might need to alter the bumper brackets unless you dont care that the bumpers sit lower now that the body is lifted.  There may be a few other small alterations like checking clearance on your fan shroud, but it is a pretty straight forward thing.