Author Topic: body lift brick  (Read 2918 times)

Offline rivernut

body lift brick
« on: October 11, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
Hello, I am new to this site. I just bought a 1982 3/4 ton chevy 4x4, 4 speed with 4-11 rear end and a 350 motor.  I was told it has a super lift kit because it has a 5" lift block under the rear leaf springs and has lift springs on the front. It also has a 3" body lift. My question is:  I would like to lower it some but not much.  It has 9 rear springs on a 14 bolt axle and 5 front springs on a 10.  It has 33x12.5 x 16.5 tires.  There is 13 1/2" from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the fenderwell.  the front has 12".  It rides like a brick.  I really kind of like the height from the blocks or should I get rid of them.  I am also changing the rear end to a 3-73 axle. good or bad idea.  It is hard to drive 55 with the 4-11.  Any help would be great. thanks

Offline danielM87

Re: body lift brick
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »
Sounds like a nice truck man. My advice would be - f you really want a smooth ride out of a chevy truck from '73 - '87, dont buy one! of course there are things to do to fix your brick-mobile ,though, dont get me wrong. If you enjoy mudboggin and if you do it often and are going to need the clearance, then keep the blocks, they affect nothing as far as ride quality. If you want it a little lower, find a 2 or 3 inch lift block and replace those 5 inch beasts. You'll have to get a reply from someone else about your leaf spring problems, i'm not too much of a pro at that stuff, sorry. I think you might be best off turning 33s with gears over 4.00, but, do what you want, like you said, if you cant go 55 as you are now, you might consider changing your gears, but c'on its a big ole mudbogger truck nobody expects it to keep up with a ferrari or anything!

Good Luck!
Hope i remotely enlightened you on what you should do!;)  

Offline rivernut

reality check
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks for that subtle dose of reality.  I have enough other vehicles so screw it, I'm gonna leave it alone.  The ride really isn't that terribly bad it's just rougher than I'm used to.  Now I'm thinking maybe since all the lift parts are in already maybe I should restore it this way and can always take it down later if I choose to.  I should at least lower it to get it setting level.  I have purchased a complete rust free truck to put on this body so I'm just trying to make the right move if there is on. thanks again.  

Offline danielM87

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Sounds good man, i think you got my jist of what i was trying to say, if it aint a lexus, dont expect a smooth ride, it's a good truck anyways. Good Luck!:smokin