Author Topic: Deleting the smog pump. How much is too much?!?!  (Read 28103 times)

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
Deleting the smog pump. How much is too much?!?!
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
I have an 86 K20 with a 292 straight 6 and I want to take of as much of the emissions crap and junk vacuum lines as I can. SO....how much of the stuff is safe to remove? My carb has electric lines and vacuum lines running to it, so I don't wanna screw up how the choke works (if it works) Also I don't know if I should delete the vacuum canister or leave it. And when I take the tubing out of the exhaust manifold can I plug the holes with pipe plugs, or bolts? What fits? Thanks guys.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011
86 Chevy K20 Custom Deluxe-Grandpa bought it new 11/20/85
77 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe-Dad's first truck
69 Chevy C30 flatbed-Grandpa's farm truck
1950 International L-112-Grandpa bought it new, parked in 1963

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Deleting the smog pump. How much is too much?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
Being a 3/4T it isn't going to have a lot of emmisions on it.  Without seeing it, I would suspect that nothing can be removed from the carb electrically as it is the choke.  Vacuum lines are not really emmisions it just depends on where they are going.  What are you calling Vacuum cannister and where is it located?   As far as the plugs, you can remove them, but you aren't going to gain anything out of getting rid of them...  No idea on what size the plug is though.

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
What Im calling the vacuum canister, is a black/charcoal colored canister beside the radiator on the drivers side with several vacuum lines going in/out. It says "AC" on top. Even my thermostat housing has like 4 lines coming out of it and everything is dry rotted.

So if I take off the smog pump I won't gain any power?
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011

Offline sbx22

• Registered Users
  • 1974 1/2 ton 350 sbc
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »
I've taken off my smog pump and charcoal canister. I just plugged the fuel vapor line up. I hear that taking off all this crap is going to decrease your MPG, and fuel efficiency goes down. But oh well, it's my weekend truck only. You might have to buy a v-belt that is specifically for your motor "without smog pump." You can go ask autozone.

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
I don't see how you MPG would decrease? You'd have less engine resistance by deleting that pump and you would probably have more vacuum and better intake air flow I would think. Yea I know it's not gonna be a 30HP gain or anything. Maybe a few HP, but mainly I just wanna clean up the engine bay and do away with as much as I can to hopefully make it run a little smoother. All those vacuum lines can't possibly make it run better?
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
i'd be careful about all this;  i don't think mpg is generally going to go down either by removing any of this stuff----after all the a.i.r. pump pumps into the exhaust, not the intake.

i've heard from some gm engineers that the pump only takes 1hp or less to turn.   (will post link asap)

But tests from other gm engineers prove that it does effect power rather drastically (will also post link asap).

Can you post a picture?

i will try to post links as soon as i am able to.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:37:32 AM by Stewart G Griffin »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
Your aren't going to gain any significant amount of power and you will most likely need to retune the engine.

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
I am one for removing as much as possible. It is easier to tell you what I run though. mild 350, no a/c.
Electrical; wire to the choke, dist and temp sensor, o/p sensor, speed sensor, aftermarket cruise wiring, starting/charging system(custom/homemade) just what is needed and elec fan but that is a seperate circuit
Vacuum; vacuum advance to the distributor, brake booster and pcv. I started with a bare block and engine bay and added what is needed for it to run nicely, not caring how it was. she goes and I get 17-21 mpg
looks like this;(it a little blurry but it is set up completely in this pic.

You would definatley need to re-tune if you go this route. also you would need additional wiring to your a/c and carb if you have a/c.

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:41 AM »
It's needs tuned anyway. I have a carb kit ready to go in and I'm going to check the timing. I'm sure the carb will need adjusted some as well. All those vac lines are just in the way and I know they are un needed. All I have on my other motors are brake booster and dust advance and PCV. And they run great.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011

Offline muxster83

• New Users
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I did this a few years back. I swaped a 305 to my 350. I also removed my cat and went to headers and straight duals. Anyways, be careful doing this. I went to get it inspected (NY state) and was failed for not having my smog pump, cat, and manifolds. I was fuming and told the inspector this is bull but he went on to tel me that all vehicles regardless if they were before 1996 have to pass emissions. I then tell him my truck never had the smog settup, hoping he would pass me. He then told me the info is on the support panel. So of course he then said i cant remove it or paint over it, autimatic failure. This really angered me and I told him where he could go and where im not going again, just to have him tell me that he was failing me also for having a 350 in place of the 305. Ny is really getting crazy with laws, so be sure you support sticker is gone before you get it inspected.

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
In Ohio we don't have to pass anything. As long as it has a vin tag and a license plate we are good. No emissions, no body damage/rust laws etc. Granted there are supposed to be lights, turn signals etc and safe to drive but I see trucks everyday that have no floor boards or beds going down the road.

I now have. Problem tho...my smog pump is squeeling loudly and I think the pulley is slightly bent! which makes me want to ditch it more BUT the smog pump is what adjusts the tension for the power steering pump on my motor. The 86 292 has a stationary PS pump >:( Now what do I do???
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011