Author Topic: Chopping wood advice please  (Read 7351 times)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Chopping wood advice please
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
Hello everyone, I just had 2 huge (3+foot in diameter) oak trees cut down to make way for a new shop planned for this spring to be built.  I am wanting to know if it would be better to split the wood now or let it age till the spring and then split it.  I know I can't use it for at least a year anyway and would have to rent a splitter to do the work.  Any lumberjack/firewood experts please chime in as I am a newbie at this.  Thanks in advance.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
Re: Chopping wood advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
It will actually split very well if it is frozen, so if you get a nice long cold spell take the opportunity to split some otherwise see if you can keep as much off the ground as possible till spring.
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
Oak takes a few years to season properly. I agree with Da67goatman about wood splitting easier in the winter. Get it split as soon as you can to start the process. With 3' diameter oak make sure you get a splitter that works vertically. Stack it outside with something just over the top so the air and sunshine get it, this will speed up the seasoning process more than putting it right in the wood shed. Once that oak is ready to burn you will have some High Performance firewood!
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I will arrange it ASAP but it will be a couple of weeks, it is raining real hard and have been unusually warm for Chicagoland being in the 40's and 50's this time of year. 
Carl 

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:31:47 AM »
I've found that with rounds that large, its easier to split the sides off by hand, then split the heart with a hydraulic splitter. Red oak is useable in a year of good open seasoning, same for pin oak, and after 5 years from splitting, both are too dry nearly unusable in a normal woodstove/fireplace, but are fine in an OWB. Black oak takes 5 years to season well, at a minimum. And white oak is mostly useless as firewood. Ever have that chunk of wood in your stove that just wont go away? Thats white oak.

Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »
I've found that with rounds that large, its easier to split the sides off by hand, then split the heart with a hydraulic splitter. Red oak is useable in a year of good open seasoning, same for pin oak, and after 5 years from splitting, both are too dry nearly unusable in a normal woodstove/fireplace, but are fine in an OWB. Black oak takes 5 years to season well, at a minimum. And white oak is mostly useless as firewood. Ever have that chunk of wood in your stove that just wont go away? Thats white oak.

Good to know
Carl 

Offline westsidek20

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
Did the extra tire came stock on the hood of the purple car?  Lol
 :P jk

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Looks like red oak by the pics, I can tell by smell easier than by appearance. Smell in the split/unseasoned stage differs a bit from the seasoned stage, and neither is describable. Red oak with the bark burns with an almost musky scent until the bark burns off and the split dries completely, then takes on a mildly sweet smell as it burns. White oak smolders and smokes, but produces a WONDERFUL sweet smoke. Pin oak smells like Ash, which burns with a bit of heavy smoke that leaves an almost bitter smell in your nose.  Black oak smells nasty when its burning.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
hope ya get it split and stacked......but want the details on the new shop!!  :)
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
Looks like red oak by the pics, I can tell by smell easier than by appearance. Smell in the split/unseasoned stage differs a bit from the seasoned stage, and neither is describable. Red oak with the bark burns with an almost musky scent until the bark burns off and the split dries completely, then takes on a mildly sweet smell as it burns. White oak smolders and smokes, but produces a WONDERFUL sweet smoke. Pin oak smells like Ash, which burns with a bit of heavy smoke that leaves an almost bitter smell in your nose.  Black oak smells nasty when its burning.

Yes they are red oak and my back yard smells amazing right now.
Carl 

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »
X2 on the splitting it sooner than later, and stacking it with just the top covered. Old metal roofing with some weight on top of it, or tied down somehow works well for this. Good thing about using metal roofing is you can leave an over hang. Keeps the rain, and snow off it better than a tarp.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »
hope ya get it split and stacked......but want the details on the new shop!!  :)

Plans are undecided.  Leaning toward a 32x64x12 pole barn but am going to price a stick built L shaped garage because I only need the 12 high in the area over the planned Bend Pak lift.
Carl 

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »

Plans are undecided.  Leaning toward a 32x64x12 pole barn but am going to price a stick built L shaped garage because I only need the 12 high in the area over the planned Bend Pak lift.

Zieg, have you looked at any of the prefab metal shops ?  All you have to do is the ground work, and with a lot of them you can dress up the sides so you can't really tell it's a metal building.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »

Zieg, have you looked at any of the prefab metal shops ?  All you have to do is the ground work, and with a lot of them you can dress up the sides so you can't really tell it's a metal building.

I am open to looking at anything.  I have looked into Armstrong Steel but they won't give me a contractor in my area to see the labor costs.  All my additions and stuff I have done to this point has been a little here a little there as funds permit.  This shop has to be turn key however I have it done.  I am going to have to know what to budget and what I have to arrange before I start.  FBI buildings is where I am going to start, they have some good representations in my area.  I can't hit a nail like I used to be able to do or I would just do it myself.
Carl 

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I can't hit a nail like I used to be able to do or I would just do it myself.

I understand what you mean.  I use to be the person who did everything because why pay someone when I can learn and do it myself.  That way I new it was done right.
     Now I weigh how much I will hurt afterwords and if it is worth it to me.  Sometimes you just got to get help or have someone else do it all together.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom