Author Topic: My 78 k10 4x4 build thread -454 install / build -1 ton axles- frame restoration  (Read 332705 times)

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
I am new to the site.my name is Andrew, I'm 25 , married , live in the mountains of Colorado and I am disabled from a car accident . I love 4x4's , It's something I've always been into since a kid , all I've owned since 15 was trucks, I just love trucks, Ford doesn't count they dont make a real truck they sell problematic headaches of vehicles , I was a diesel mechanic and Ford was most of our business because they broke down all the time lol, anyways love trucks , dislike the wanna be Ford nation of "truck" drivers. Lol anyways ...   I have a 78 k10 4x4. I purchased it about 2 months ago. I just got new tires for it, 33x12.50r16 Hancook Dynapro mud terrains. It has a 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front right now. So a 6 lug and it had a 305 small block in it. It has the 205 transfer case and manual locking hubs right now. As well as the 4 speed manual transmission. I am installing a 454 out of a 1972 chevelle ss in this truck, it is a high performance original block. It is bored over .030 thousandths and is getting a makeover throughout, I have a dana 60 kingpin straight axle with disc brakes for the front and a dana 70 for the rear axle. So that is all getting installed and worked on to be brief, also complete frame restoration !. 4 inch lift will be added during this project as well as many other items.  If you would like more details or want to follow just let me know !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:29:15 PM by FearNoMan78k10 »
78 k10 4x4

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 78 k10 engine swap and 1 ton axles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
     With a SM465 (I assume that is the transmission you are putting in it), and 1 ton axles, this thing should be a beast on wheels.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Re: 78 k10 engine swap and 1 ton axles
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
Thanks bake!!! It does have the sm465 already in it :-) I had a turbo 400 trans with the short short tail shaft but I sold it because I wanted to keep the manual ! Im thinking you just may be right it "should" be a beast when it's done we will have to see haha, ANY TIPS at all would be much appreciated.. We are estimating a true 625 650rwhp for the truck. It will be a different truck from the 305 it had in it that was needing alot of love, it originally had the 350 in it so i was told, i will have to do some more homework on this trucks past history that's for sure :-)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:38:16 PM by FearNoMan78k10 »
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Re: 78 k10 engine swap - 454 build and 1 ton axles- frame restoration
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
454 , bored over .030" , forged rods and pistons , flat top pistons with valve reliefs, Howard's springs, full solid roller camshaft , roller rockers , roller lifters , chromoly push rods, ported intake on the heads , polished on the exhaust side , decked head, arp head studs, intake manifold port matched to the head, ..... valve bracket supports,  stage 3 intake manifold  ( 1500 to 6500 rpm ) , full custom built Holley 830cfm double pumper carb , Hooker super competition headers , 2.5" dual exhaust with flowmasters, balancing rotating assembly, blue printing the motor, every nut and bolt, carter fuel pump, new 12" heavy duty clutch and flywheel , new harmonic balancer, new radiator, new oil pickup pump, new seals and gaskets top to bottom, this is a 454 big block out of a 72 chevelle ss, original high performance motor . And it is getting a makeover :-) my treat to myself after everything I've been through..... , Bake here are some details and other members as well here are some details on the 454 big block . :-)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:51:35 PM by FearNoMan78k10 »
78 k10 4x4

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »
sound like a nice truck being built. also if your taking pictures with your phone. you could download the photobucket app then use the img code from there and post them on here
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline FearNoMan78k10

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
Hey thankyou hopefully it will be. I have given up quite a bit to get to this point .  Thanks for the tip I was having issues with the size of the picture, and uploading the fotos . I will try to get on with photo bucket as an app on my phone , I did have it at one time not too long ago on my phone.
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
Tow truck driver is picking me up then we picking the truck up and bringing it here at the house so I can do some serious sanding and painting on the frame , bed is coming off the dog house is off right now ( front end , hood and front side fenders ) and so I will be sanding and painting everything , then the truck will be taken back to the shop for the engine and 1 ton axle install. It's a beautiful day today in Colorado and so we will see how much sanding ill be able to get done today ! Ill post pictures up real soon . A couple hours I'd say.
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

We'll the tow truck driver never picked me up but did pick the truck up and a few body parts that we have detached for prep work. I am in the process of moving the truck and all the parts right now to a different location. Okay .... So this weekend was insane and my wife ( she is so cool ) helped me tremendously on this truck, sanding and polishing and primer and painting the frame restoring it this past weekend. I am trying to get all the pics on one URL . After busting through 40 years of rust dirt grime old paint and all the above it is now restored 75 percent. The right way not cutting corners on the job. I took detailed pictures and will be posting them soon . The cab still needs to be taken off and the frame sanded to metal, polished then primered and painted again. So about 4 feet of this trucks frame hasn't been touched yet. Due to time funds and tools lol. Hopefully we will do the frame and under the cab restoring the cab very soon. Now it is time to install the Dana 60 kingpin front axle and the Dana 70 for the rear axle and replace shocks with longer ones add leaf springs and put new suspension component on. The body of the truck still needs a lot of tlc to break through the oxidation of 40 years of accumulation but I will be posting the body and cab restoration here as well. Motor is being sent out in a few days to the machine shop for some work to the rotating assembly, bearings, balancing and head work. Truck won't be done for a little while but that's alright !!! By the way guys I am disabled and have broken my back so this is a real treat for me. I'm not some rich punk building a truck. It's blood sweat and tears into this truck. It's a privilege to do the things to this k10 that I am doing and i feel very fortunate. So for all you who struggle day in and day out to make ends meet like we do please just don't judge or envy me or the truck. I have been through alot in my life and had to sell everything I've owned multiple times, and I have sold a lot just to be able to have a awesome truck again. I'm disabled and stay around the house a lot so you guys reading this please respond if your interested in the project or just chatting about trucks I'd love to talk!
78 k10 4x4

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
     FearNoMan78k10, I hate to hear about your back and the trouble you have gone through.  One thing about this site that you will learn (and why I am proud to be a member here) is that this is a family site and the moderators do a wonderful job of keeping it that way.
     Bashing and plain old being stupid is not allowed here, I have seen members being banned for 5 days several times because of not obeying the rules that everyone agrees to when signing up.  Some come back and apologize for the mistakes they made and some do not come back, which is OK with me if they can not be helpful.  If you do not have anything positive to say, then don't say anything is my thought.
     Everyone here is trying to help each other out with our hobby and/or passion.  Sometimes information is given that is just wrong and there is a reply that states the author of that statement is wrong and backs it up with facts (hopefully), some see the response as criticism, but nobody here wants to see a vehicle get damaged, or more importantly someone get hurt from the wrong information.
     So when you need help ask, if you have information that will help someone, please fell free to impart.  I have stopped visiting some sites because of the attitudes with the members and the moderators not doing anything to curb it. 
     This is for everyone who reads this, help make this site the best on the web for our years of trucks, and thank you all for the effort everyone puts into this site.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
Nice work! I wish my frame looked half as nice.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Hey minus1 thanks I greatly appreciate it!!! Every nook and cranny we could hit with the sander Dremel tool wire wheel and brushes, we sanded and stripped to bare metal. and after it was all done I forgot to take pics after the sanding and polishing stage on the frame where it was shiny. Inside of the frame was hit too with tools. It was an insane amount of work I'll say that lol

78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

It can look just as nice minus if you do it yourself and take your time you could totally do it bro!

78 k10 4x4