Author Topic: Tighter suspension possible 1 inch drop??  (Read 4243 times)

Offline dsgb610

Tighter suspension possible 1 inch drop??
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
Im looking for PERFORMANCE based suspension modifications. Not interested in raising or lowering. I want to stop some of the body roll. I have $400 budget and $200 of it is from Summit. Already looking at a sway bar.. Please Help and thank you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:37:31 PM by dsgb610 »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Tighter suspension possible 1 inch drop??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »
     Do you have a sway bar in front ?  If so increase it's size and think about adding one in the back.  Simplest way to add stability without raising or lowering.
     How are the rest of your body, suspension bushings ?  Are they in good condition or do they flex too much.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
No sway bar YET.... Im looking at those now. any particular brand size you would recommend?
How do I check the flex of the busings? I am Def getting a sway bar.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
No sway bar YET.... Im looking at those now. any particular brand size you would recommend?
How do I check the flex of the busings? I am Def getting a sway bar.

Every sway bar has a rating.  Basically if you have body roll, and you know if your bushings is not at fault ( visually inspect them, if they are not all cracked or missing parts to them, the body roll from the bushings will be minor and can be taken up with sway bars), take the weight of your truck and check the specs of the sway bar you are looking at.
     Here is a good article on choosing sway bars, there are more on the web, but most of them are on forums and even though this is a forum, some times forums do not give out correct information all the time.

http://autofaction.hubpages.com/hub/Anti-Roll-Bars-How-to-choose-the-right-sway-bar-for-your-car
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Thank you for all your help bake. I went with Belltech 5404. For front sway bar. I plan on getting a busing rebuild kit next.
I would like to level out the truck.. Possibly 1 or 2 inches. What is the best method of doing this??? Not too many threads on the middle ground. lol I came across one but the OP caught the bug and the truck was slammed by page 3.

Im looking to level it out.. I buy my parts in groupings.. So ill prob buy the remaining suspension parts over the course of the next month. DFo you have any exp with lowering springs and struts?? My lowering exp is only imports... No shakles or leaf springs So I have to learn those.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
     I am assuming you want to lower the rear 1" or 2" correct ?
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:15 AM »
Yes... I would just want to level it out.. 3/2 drop at the max.. I would rather buy new springs than cut my existing ones.. Springs and shakles for the rear is best combo for this? Ill list some parts a little later on.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »
     I am surprised nobody has chimed in and told you how to drop it, I am not a drop man, I am a lift man.  Always have had 4x4's.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
I am searching. You have helped me alot thou thanks. I have this belltech swaybar just arrived. I dont think I have the factory mounting holes for it. I will see if I can get them from the junkyard maybe.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »
http://www.jegs.com/i/Belltech/146/4700/10002/-1?parentProductId=1128247#moreDetails

these are supposed to be a good set of performance oriented springs. more for ride quality than just going low. this link may not be the exact set of springs you need im just giving you an examlpe

i think a set of these springs,your new sway bar, a full set of new shocks, and a full Energy Suspension kit would really handle well

PS where did you get the swaybar?
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor