Author Topic: SPEEDO SLOW  (Read 2358 times)

Offline 1986GMCSierra

SPEEDO SLOW
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:11:34 PM »
i recently switched out my bulbs in my dash to led and had to take my soeedometer off and now it is running about 3-5 miles an hour slow is this easy fix

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
Re: SPEEDO SLOW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
I have replaced the speedometer cable from the back of the speedo gauge  to the trans tail housing only to find out it was actually the speedometer itself. Now the only thing left to do is change the drive and driven gears in the trans tail and it will all be new. Nothing very hard. The cable was the cheapest to replace.

Offline 1986GMCSierra

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »

I have replaced the speedometer cable from the back of the speedo gauge  to the trans tail housing only to find out it was actually the speedometer itself. Now the only thing left to do is change the drive and driven gears in the trans tail and it will all be new. Nothing very hard. The cable was the cheapest to replace.

ok im not sure what gears you are talking about i have never taken anything out more than the speedometer gauge plate? could it be the needle?

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
I am sure there are people that can take the speedo apart and work on it but i just bought a new one. As for the cable in some cases it is 2 cables(upper and lower) you can just trace them easy to follow and replace with new. The speedo gears i am assuming you have a 700r4 trans( that is what my 86 has) where the end of the lower cable screws into the trans there are 2 plastic gears one the driven one the drive. This is the part i have to do myself but in researching it i don't think its going to be hard.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
If all you did was pull the cluster and replace it, are you sure it wasn't reading lower before? 

Offline 1986GMCSierra

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
If all you did was pull the cluster and replace it, are you sure it wasn't reading lower before?
i figured it out, stupid miatake when i put the needle back on all i did was put it on pointing too high