Author Topic: Got mice?!  (Read 15872 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Got mice?!
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
On the way to work saw a mouse go from under the dash and scurry under the bench seat, then back under dash and back under seat again. While i was driving! I have no rust or rot holes, how are they getting in??!!!!

Gonna have to get some snap traps. Only way
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Peter S

Re: Got mice?!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
Oh yes...I've been there. Wait till they start nesting in the heater duct work. Then when you turn on the heat all of the pee smelling fuzz comes flying out all over. I believe that they come in through the air intake in the cowl in front of the windshield.
-Peter

1978 K10 stepside

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
It looks like only one got in there, no mess yet. Traps are already set! And i'll keep setting them every night in the truck and out. I'll execute every dang mouse in a 500 sq. ft area!! 
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
Try dryer sheets. Know several people try that and it seems to work. Stick a couple here and there in the cab.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »
There's a gap between the inner and outer cab corner. I think maybe for air flow from the heater to exit the cab.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »

There's a gap between the inner and outer cab corner. I think maybe for air flow from the heater to exit the cab.
Ok, where is this gap located exactly??

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Got mice?!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
Tonights the first night with traps, 2 in the cab and one under the truck. I know i may attrack a mouse, but still- death to all!

Will post results.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Got mice?!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
No mice this morning, however one of the traps was tripped. Not the trap in the truck.

New theory, when i pulled over and the mouse scurried under the seat, i believe it went out that cab corner hole, which i plugged with galvanized mesh screen and doped it up with grease. The little critter never got established. Will continue to place traps around truck nightly though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:25:26 PM by philobeddoe »

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
There are a number of holes in the firewall, sealed with rubber bushings, that allow wires, cables, etc. into the cab. If the rubber rots, falls out, etc. it will allow meeses in.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
Great! I'll have to get up close in there with a flashlight then. Mice along with ticks and mosquitoes i wish the Lord did away with.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
No traps are getting set off near truck, however i caught two in my shelter, looks like there was a struggle.  My truck is clear of all mice. Will continue to set trap under truck each night though.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
Like a lot of us, I live on a farm with lots of grain crops grown around me. Mice are a fact of life. The smallest of them can fit through a hole no larger than their noses. If the head fits, the body will too. They can chew through light metal and will. They, for some reason, like the insulation of electrical wires to chew on. For an animal that has a brain smaller than the eraser on a pencil, they are pretty smart. Filling holes with stainless wire wool works pretty good as long as they cannot pull it out. Regular SOS pads work in a pinch but rust pretty fast.

My sister heard the tale about dryer sheets too. Put them all over their travel trailer inside and out and rested easy over the winter only to find mouse nests in the drier sheets...so they are questionable still. Maybe she used the wrong brand?   
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
I have neen finding one per day in my traps in my shelter, none in or near the truck. I think that one i did find in the truck was a lost mouse and he escaped during the chase way down the road. Not even a sign of one in or near the truck. When i stop catching them in the shelter, i'll back off a little. Glad that problem ended quick.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
we used to raise and sell dwarf hamsters. so im kind of impartial to killing rodents, i have a live trap that i will catch them in. then i will drive a few miles away from home and release them in someones yard i dont like. like to think i give them a chance to live, the only time i like to kill (and using "like" very loosely) is when im hunting or a mercy killing.

breeding the hamsters was pretty cool cause you could change their color or pattern. cause you would take hamster A and breed her with hamper B this would give you a little of A or B or C or even A+B. some As' would only produce As' and some if you bred them this weird brown color would be produced with a dark strip down the back. we had hamsters that would only breed with certain partners also and we had a few females that would fight the male so we had a "bull" hamster that would put them in their place and breed them. but we would remove most males after the fist sign of pregnancy due to they might eat or kill them. we also had some mothers that would eat their babys so once we would find one missing we would remove the rest and find a foster mother that was lactating for them. but it was fun to find a pattern that some would like and reproduce some weird and pretty patterns. at one time i think we had 60 or so hamsters thats with 4 or 5 breeding parents and they would have 3-8 babys. then we would have our "studs" man they would get big lol, but i would say all baby hamsters would bite so i would wear leathers gloves and reach in and surprise them like a kid would do till they stopped biting. this worked on most but every once in a while it wouldnt so we would take that fighter and breed them. so no kid would be bit by them.

there was some money involved, not much but it paid for food and stuff. we would sell the babys at half of what the store sold them for, so if they charged 8 we would charge 4. so we could make 32 from one litter this would pay for wood chips and food for the rest of the hamsters. but theres a fine line about flooding the market, kids fall in love with cute babys not adults so you cant sell too many to one store or they will have some left over till next month. so most times the most we would sell to one store would be 10 depending on how well they sold from the past month. we had stores buying our hamsters from 3 states, then one month it hit us hard. it was december about 6 or so years ago when we got out because we got stuck will a bunch of little hamsters no one wanted to buy them for some reason i guess when the market got really down people didnt have enough money to buy hamsters or food. so the only thing we could do was find a store and give them all away we had them all sexed and in two bins it broke my heart giving them to this pet store cause we never dealt with them and didnt know how our hamsters would be treated. but when they just put them all into one aquarium even they freaked imagine 30 baby hamsters not knowing what was going on and freaking out.

i dont know why i felt like i had to share this with yall but i hope you learned something about hamster breeding and taking care of them. if you have any questions feel free to inbox me
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »
Well, good story irish. I like the part where you catch and release in someone elses yard. Lol. I do that with skunks in the springtime. It is illegal to relocate wildlife, but i take my chances. And i'm an agriculture officer too. Mums the word.