Author Topic: Swapping axles  (Read 2545 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Swapping axles
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
My dad has a 1979 Chevrolet K-10 shortbed.  He has a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt fron under it now.  He just bought a 10 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front from a 1989 Suburban.  I get to do the swapping, what can I expect in terms of differences and modifications of any kind... other than the truck falling on me(had it happen once, wasn't happy at all>: )

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Swapping axles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
the pinion yokes won't match up so you will need a hybrid u-joint.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Swapping axles
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
Which set of rear brakes are you going to use? The 79 rear brakes will most likely be bigger in diam. and maybe wider I can't recall. You can swap the backing plates over and use the 79 brakes, this makes life easier down the road when buying parts for it. The tie rod & tie rod ends are also diferent, if I remeber correctly the 79 will have a center tie rod & 2 tie rod ends. The 89 will have one short tie rod end and one long tie rod with the end cast in. Neither of these will affect the actual swap just differences is all.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs