Author Topic: oil pressure dropping tremendously  (Read 3564 times)

Offline shaved80

oil pressure dropping tremendously
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »
when i first start my truck, i have an oil pressure in the 50-60 area, but after i take it on the freeway to school, and i pull off, it drops down to below 10. any ideas?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: oil pressure dropping tremendously
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
Is this the factory gauge?  Has the motor been rebuilt?  How old? What weight oil?

Technically you need a minumum of 7lbs at idle.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline shaved80

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
no, its the dakotas. and yes its a rebuilt, it also did it on the old one, which was a rebuilt. this new one only has about 2,000. and its 10 30

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
Wow. Sounds like  trouble-. Can you verify the pressure drop by installing a gauge in the housing directly above the oil filter? Sometimes too, the wrong oil filter can be the cause of the pressure drop.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Oil Pressure
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »
I have had this happen.  My 327 did that to me.  As bad as it sounds, drop the pan and make sure the pickup tube is still in the pump... after verifying the pressure, as DnStClr said.  No need to get drastic with my way right off.  If it is that low, pull the pan, if the tube is not out, make sure it is not sitting too low in the pan.  I hope that this is not the case with your engine, but mine had 1400 miles on it and it ruined the bearings but not the crank.  I bought new rod and main bearings, a rear seal, and a pan gasket set, as well as a HV oil pump, Steel sleeve pump driveshaft, a pickup tube, and some lucas assembly lube.  I had about $100.00 into doinf the job.  Sad thing was I cracked the heads and blew the engine 3 weeks later. >:  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Oil Pressure
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
How low is in and what kind of pump are you running?
(should have known you are using the dakotas...)

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 81chevy350lwb

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »
Mine does this also.  Good oil pressure until its warmed up and then the pressure needle drops and you can hear the engine start to knock. My engine guy says spun bearings. I replaced the oil pump(standard volume) and it didn't get any better. Don't know if a HV would fix it...

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »
You replaced the pump but didn't examine the bearings???
They were right there.  You could loosen the bearing caps and examine the bearings, then retorque the caps.  

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
Would have to agree, pull the pan again and look at the bearings.  Did you prime the new pump before installing it?  One should always use assembly lube or lucas or something to prime the pump.  It the bearings need replaced and the crank and rods are not needing turned or resized now, then roll in new bearings and a new main seal.  It is oily and messy, but it will do wonders.  My old 327 went from... a lot when cold to 9psi when hot and then the big ZERO.  I rolled in new rods and mains and got a solid 70-75psi cold and 35-45psi hot in gear.

Edited by: 1976Scottsdale at: 5/17/06 6:38 pm