Author Topic: new cam bearings?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline doctrdoo

new cam bearings?
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
i have an 85 C10 pickup with a chevy 350 stock motor.this is going to sound like a stupid question but-my motor is stock and was totally rebuilt about a year ago. i know that it has less than 1,000 miles on it. i dont really drive it far and i dont beat on it- basically just drive it to work and back.here's my question-if i wanted to put a different cam( something a little better than stock) in it- would i have to replace the cam bearings? i have read about and seen shows where they replace the cam with the motor in the car or truck but no mention of replacing the cam bearings.or should i wait till i can take the motor out? thanks for your help.

Offline chevytech2002

Re: new cam bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
You do not have to put new cam bearings in if you replace your cam. You can also replace it in the truck. you have to remove your radiator but it is possible. I would replace the timming chain though no matter how many miles it has on it.

Edited by: chevytech2002 at: 7/14/06 7:32 pm

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
Welcome to the site, Tommy.

Don St.Clair
Culleoka Tn

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »
You will also need to cut the vertical center suport in front of your radiator.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
hey- thanks for the help with this from ya'll. didn't think about the center support tho.has anyone here changed out their cam with the motor still in the truck? how much of a pain is it? i dont mind yanking the radiator but i'm not too sure about cutting out the center support.

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
In a way it's easier to change it out with the motor in it, anyways, all you need is a good pair of tin snips and cut the support @ top and bottom, pretty simple. I just changed cams about 3 or 4 months ago, the most difficult parts were the timing cover reinstall and valve adjustment. Those two things ARE easiest with the motor on a stand.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 10:41:00 PM »
Yeah I use a air whizzer, takes less than a minute top and bottom.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
will i have to weld the center support back in after i change out the cam or can i leave it out?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
No it nothing important, I leave them out. Its just thin tin.

Offline doctrdoo

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »
Ok- that sounds great. Thanks for everyones help with this.