Author Topic: Flex plate crack  (Read 3146 times)

Offline mjolinar

Flex plate crack
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
I have a 78' 1/2 ton 4x4 with a TH350 behind a 92' small block. My problem is that I have cracked 3 flex plates one of which the entire center section was broken out, and dont know why. Anyone know what could be causing this. The transmission shifts very hard and I am wondering if that could be the cause.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: Flex plate crack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »
Just throwing a few things out here...
Are you using the same torque converter?  Could it be warped?  They aren't expensive, next time you gotta replace the flex plate, replace the converter just to rule it out if anything else.

Now, the flex plate attaches to the end of the crank.  Have you noticed any balancing problems (ie: vibrations in engine at higher rpms)?  The crank could be warped/bent.

Are you overtightening the flex plate bolts?  They don't have to be too tight to function correctly.

One other factor that is relative: the starter.  Any grinding noises from the starter/flex plate when trying to start the engine??

SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker
1991 Blu 'Burb 3/4 ton 4x4

Offline mjolinar

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »
I will check the torque converter that is a good possibility. I  Havent replaced anything yet.The starter is working perfectly, which is unusual for a chevy. Also, the flex plate crank bolts were torqued per Haynes manual. I even bought the high performance TCI flex plate this time. The only vibrations I get are at around 75 mph or 3000 rpm, but I believe that is just from slop from wear in the shaft coupler.

Offline Pushrod

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »
Did the engine come out of a standard shift vehicle? Maybe a pilot bearing is the issue here??

Junkie 77 Stepside AKA "The Sanford Machine"
81 Malibu 350 and a 4 speed

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
Pilot Bearing wouldn't be an issue since the Converter doesn't seat in the crank like a input shaft of a manual does.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline mjolinar

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
It seems to be the dowel pins are worn out and they were causing misalignment.