Author Topic: ESC question... just unplug insttead of bypassing?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline 1985ChevyC10

ESC question... just unplug insttead of bypassing?
« on: November 18, 2020, 06:23:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forum but you all helped a lot finding control arms a couple of months ago.

My esc is out (the metal box behind the glove box that has wires going to the distributor), as in the truck wont run while it is plugged in however it runs if it is just unplugged. If I take the distributor cap off and unplug the spark control module and plug it back in and re-install the dist. cap it will run for about 10 seconds then will die and wont start until I take off the dist. cap and repeat, but it runs with the esc just unplugged, which is the weirdest thing I have ever heard of.

I've heard a lot about bypassing it, but is it bad to just leave it unplugged? It doesnt run 100% but runs better at higher rpms, is this because the esc is unplugged? its an 85 c10 with a 350 crate engine  :) with the original wiring harness from a 305 :-\

side note: I had a tie rod go out and when I was pulling it in the garage to fix it the truck died and wouldnt start and the brakes locked up at the same time  :o     The brakes and suspension are now fixed, now im moving on to the electrical part. I try to do most of the work myself and just learn it all as I go.