Author Topic: 4.3 to 5.7 engine swap  (Read 23569 times)

Offline jays2w87

• Bone stock..... Not for long!
Re: 4.3 to 5.7 engine swap
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 12:48:56 PM »
That sounds like a tough one to find. I'm I remember correctly the 4.3 era is also the tame time fuel injection started becoming standard. Huh, how about an older chevy s10 or blazer / jimmy ? I know they are also out there in some of the cars . Montecarlo maybe ??

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
The 4.3L on the G-bodys started in 1985 and were TBI.  Only light trucks and Vans used the carb.  For light trucks (1/2T C/K series) the carb was 1 year, 1986.  The Safari/Astro had it one year extra starting in 1985.  S-series didn't get the 4.3L until 1988 and it was TBI.

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 09:52:48 AM »
Gottcha,

Bye the way your rig SU is that tied to the band suicidal? Both my son and I LOVE them !!  Once it goes in the CD player its stays for months.

Chris, You have vast knowledge.... whats your take on this ??

Heres the story, I had been lookin for my next project. Money was tight and I saw this ad for my 87. I called and the guy said he was goin thru eviction with a tenant . He kept the truck there and had to wait till the court said he could return to his own property. He said he would call me once he got word from court , but I didnt think I would hear back. He said he had a ton of calls on it.
1 week later my cell rings and its him. says hes all set and has the title, original purchase papers everything. (its a 87 R10 4.3 L one owner with 80,000 mile local since new) Look at my pictures close, its in awesome condition !

The catch is he needed me to come and get it That Day ! Price .... $100.00

I couldnt line up a flat bed so I asked him what the deal was with driving it.
He said he thinks its a head gasket, it smokes. It does run though. (its 40 milesfrom my house)
So I grabbed a bottle of sealer , a bottle of prestone, 4 gallons of water and my tools and I was off.
I get there and it fires right up. Add the sealer, and a good mix of coolant and put the cap on. I was going to shut it down while we did paper work but he said dont , it wont fire up again unless you wait 20 minutes. So I left it running.

While we did the paper work it stopped smokin, the guy was like" dang, it stopped. That stuff worked"
I pulled away and it drove sweet . What a nice ride  !!! I stopped for gas and hit the road. All highway to my house. so it drove okay seemed like it needed to be gone thru.... the ride on the other hand. OMG what a sweet truck !!These RL body trucks have always been a favorite. My best friend is on his 5th, he has had 4x4, 1 ton dually, suburban. all of them.

So, I'm 25 mile into my ride home (15 miles away) and I go from one route to another on a connector ramp, the speed limit is 40 I'm doin 40 . The connector is a huge curve. While I'm goin around the curve it starts to choke, its popin and dies. I roll to the side and thats it!       fyi,  no plates on the truck......
My kids were with my wife behind me and my son said goin around the curve it started to smoke. Prior to that no smoke.

I get out, the truck is not running, but smoke is pouring out of the exhaust. I pop the hood and its also comming out of the TB. I take the rad cap off (wicked hot) obviously it was over heating. The whole ride I kept lookin to see it there was steam coming out of the front end, didnt seem to be . But it was also 85degrees that day and I was doin 60mph so it was hard to tell. It has a temp guage but , yup.. dont work.

I grab the water (my wife was chasing me with all my crap in her car) start to pour it in and as I got the radiator about 1/2 way full it instantly began to boil the water I was adding.
I waited 10 minutes and continued to fill. put the cap on and at that point it wouldnt even turn over.
Now keep in mind. I'm smarter than all this. My only reasoning was I had to get the truck home that day ! And heck, where am I gunna find a deal like this again......

So, with no way to get it home, I lock the doors and we go home. My wife says we'll its only 100.00 we have had bigger issues, " dont worry so much"
My issue....  screw the $100.00 I want the truck !
The next morning I get a call from the car club " go wait near the truck, I'm comin with a flat bed"
So I hauled butt over to the truck, The State Police got there a little while earlier and put one of those cool Orange stickers on the tail gate, ABANDON VEHICAL
The flat bed shows up, we load it. and bring it home!

So, I have cleaned it up a little, tried to turn it over once just for the heck of it. (nothing)
I'm pretty knowledgable so, I'm thinking Its LOCKED UP. Siezed up good. My only idea it to take the starter off and turn the key. I have power, but when I turn the key nothing at all. Not even a click or any type of noise. Just outta chance see if the starter is frozen. The key goes in, I turn, I get the seat belt light and buzzer , I turn again to start and Zip, nothing.
Thats why I plan to do an engine swap. (a) it needs one. (b) I'm gunna turn this sweet 2 wheeler into a toy.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on the 4.3 thats in it. (trash ??)
I have not played with it at all. I just got the truck 2 weeks ago and have not had a real chance to get deep into it. Let me tell you, its pretty, just dont run....... currently
What are your thoughts ??

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Go for the 350. It will get slightly less milage or maybe even the same ,but you'll enjoy it alot more. ;D
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 07:39:34 PM »
No Doubt !
I have been on the hunt. Found a pontiac 400 for 100 bucks . needs a rebuild ..... I also found a 350 tpi says it runs, he wants 300.00 it has a mild cam in it. Doesnt look like your though. You can tell it wasnt taken care of and it looks like crap.
I was thinkin of playin with the 4.3 but, Do I really wanna waste my time when I'm going to rip it out anyhow? ...... I dont know, I think I'll just keep lookin for that small block and get this project goin.
Hows your tpi? Ride it yet?

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »
Ya, I took it for a drive , but its running real rough. I got to reset the timing tommorow.
 Keep searching for the smallblock. Save your money to dump into that and try to resist the urge to play with the 6. You'll be glad you did.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
Roger that !
I have popped the hood 2 times in the 2 weeks I have had the truck, both times I popped it look in and closed it I bet I had the hood up for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. I Know I want the small block so anything else doesnt fill my urge to work on it.

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:59 PM »
Okay, so I'm trying to pull parts together, dug out my engine lift and I'm searchin for a small block. I posted an ad online, says - Small block to "donate" for a budget project.
I got a reply. The guy is givin me a tbi set up (tb and intake) from a 305
My question is, can I put this set up on a 350 ? I know older engines a carb is a carb. This is one of many builds for me but the 1st tbi one. He also has the computer and wires. The truck he removed it from was an 87 . My truck is a 87 (4.3) Once I have the 5.7 done the computer and/or chip from his should work right ?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »
The only real difference is the PROM in the computer for the 305- 350. The injectors are the same, harness is the same, fuel pump etc.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 07:04:01 PM »
Sweet! This should make things go easier !

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:02 PM »
By the way your rig SU is that tied to the band suicidal? Both my son and I LOVE them !! 

Actually no.  Long story short when I was 18 I decided I was going to lower my pickup and my buddy was talking about lifting his Jeep.  We were sitting at his house and his mom heard us and commented "lifting this, lowering that, you two have suicidal tendencies"   It stuck from that day forward.

305 TBI injectors are not the same as 350 injectors.  305's are 49lb and 350 are 61lb

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
Suicidal Tendencies is one of my favorite bands  ;D

Yeah the oem injectors on 305 to 350 were slightly smaller orifice. You can run them on a mild TBI 350 though with no problem. I'm pretty sure GM superceeded both the 305 and 350 TBI injectors to the same 17112493 injectors if I remember right....
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:47 PM »
I also noticed the frame members on the V-6 will have to be moved forward, but yes they are the same.  Getting ready for my switch...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline jays2w87

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »
sweet, thanks for the info.
Found my engine today, 350 4 bolt from a 84 suburban. needs a rebuild but , that was part of the plan anyhow. If all goes well I'll have it on the stand this weekend .......

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
I also noticed the frame members on the V-6 will have to be moved forward, but yes they are the same. 
Forward?  The crossmember only has one location, the engine stands only have 2: upper and lower.  It has been a while since I even looked at a V6 setup though.