Author Topic: I am about to buy my first truck, need some opinions and information.  (Read 15796 times)

Offline avanti

Hi,

Just found this excellent forum.  :)

I am looking to buy a Chevrolet C20 no newer than 1978 (when they reach 30 years, I don't pay road tax and the insurance is very low).
Anyways, I have found a couple of 1978 models, the first with a rolled paint job and a 350/350. According to the owner its rust free which is a huge bonus.

The second one is more original looking with 350/400. It seems to me that this one has a longer bed, does anyone have the different bed measurements? The prices are about the same, and I don't mind the paint on the first one.

I am leaning towards the first one, but is the 400transmission "better"?

Thanks  :)

The pictures:

Offline ccz145a

Re: I am about to buy my first truck, need some opinions and information.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »
The brown one looks less molested and the better truck, imho. The blue truck obviously has had a lot done to it, and you cannot be sure of the quality and given the roller paint, You might be able to extrapolate that other corners were cut.

Just my opinion based on pics and there were no pics of the engine on the brown truck to compare.

The blue one has a few nice goodies and dressy things and it is a short wheelbase 6 1/2 ft bed and some say, more popular. On the other hand, the brown one has tilt -- that is a big plus if you have any size to you. I personaly like the 8 ft bed better. I mean if your just going to have one truck, make it big enough to do the job.

The th400 is stronger, but is not as efficient as the th350.

In the end, buy the one that would be easier to get to where you want it to be. What are you goals for the truck?

1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »
A th400 is better as far as towing, pulling etc.  It is a stronger trans.
C20's (3/4 ton) Only came in longbeds from the factory, Long beds were 8ft, short beds were 6ft.  If one is a 6ft bed, it most likely is a C10 (1/2 Ton)

I would check the floor pans UNDER whatever flooring is there, rockers, cab corners, kick panels, cowl area, radiator support where the battery goes, inner fender on the same side, bottom front and rear of the fenders.  on the bed check the wheel openings.  If being a 78 model I find it very hard to believe that it is rust free, especially if it has a roll on paint job.

Offline avanti

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  :)

Firstly regarding my goals for the truck; I don't really plan on hauling much, maybe a motorcycle on the bed once in a while. I am getting it because I love pickup trucks in general, and the C/K is my favorite. It will be more for posing than anything "useful"  8) Thats why I'm leaning towards the blue one, I love the way it looks!

Captkaos: ..............
So regarding the blue truck, it is a C10 or a modified (shortened C20)?

The seller of the blue one states that;
- its a C20 (probably a C10 then, I guess I could find out if I got the VIN number?)
- it has a 8 ft bed (which it doesn't seem to have)
- 8-bolt axle
- new exhaust system
- new starter motor
- the engine has recently been overhauled
- it is rustproofed
- the rocker panels, doors and floor is new.

regarding the paint, it is quite popular to roll paint cars in Sweden so I'm hoping there are no surprises under the paint...

I will try and have a look at it asap, but its good to know what to look for!

From looking at the pictures which "goodies and dressy things" have you found? Anything under the hood?

Thanks again guys!

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 05:12:58 PM »
The Blue one could be a shortened 3/4T.  It could be a K10 (4x4) but I can't tell from the pics...
The VIN will tell you everything unless someone swapped cabs/VIN.
Not sure what you mean by 8 lug axle, are you talking about the wheel pattern has 8 lugs?

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:40:19 PM »
I would go with the unmolested one.  Then, later you'll have the option to upgrade.  Do you really want an engine that was tuned by a normal guy that you don't know?  Or, and engine that has been running and the carb forever untouched or unplayed with?  I think it is pretty obvious...but it is your decision.  Good luck with your choice!!! 

BTW how much are they asking for them (don't worry I don't want to buy either)
1975 Chevy k20 6" lift 35" BFG MT's True Dual Exhausts Radical Cam

1980 GMC 2500 Parts Truck

Offline ssgoodman

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:47:26 PM »
is it hard to get parts for these trucks in europe?  i didnt know they sold american pickups outside north and south america.

Sutton

Offline mike357

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »
i think the blue one is a long bed also. if you look closely at the picture you can see what maybe a stake pocket in the middle of the bed. short beds didnt have the center stake pocket.

Offline okuma

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »
if I had to choose one for free :-\ , I would defenetly choose the brown colored virgin truck ;) .  it's clean for being a '78. 

on the blue/red....ect. truck the only good thing i see is the old chrome p/s pump and the chrome brake booster........

so we leave it up to you to decide..... the blue looks full of surprises  :o >:( :o
both look long beds 2 me.
THE LOWER I GO,..... THE MORE SHE LIKES IT!

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:58:24 PM »
the blue one is a C20.  it has 8 lugs and it IS a longbed.  but, if they were cheap enough to roll on the paint then i don't wanna think about what else they skimped on.  i, too, would choose the brown one...looks like it's in a lot better shape...nice and original...
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline avanti

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. So maybe it is just the angle of the photo that makes the blue one look shorter, and in fact they are the same size?

I guess the brown one is the smarter choice. As mentioned above, I can modify it any way I want or chose to keep it original.
The asking price for the brown one is 3.500USD while the blue one is 4.300USD, quite a difference.

Old American cars in general are extremely popular in scandinavia, so parts are very easy to find, also for trucks.

Regarding the transmission, performance wise, which is the better. Since the 400 is stronger, does that make the truck slower?

I must say, the more I look at the brown one the more I like it. Is it possible to see from the pictures if it is the Custom Deluxe, Scottsdale, Cheyenne or Silverado?

Another bonus with the brown one it that it recently passed the EU examination (we have to have our cars examined by a certified garage every two years in Europe to prove that they are road worthy), the blue one still needs to pass the test.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:25:51 AM by avanti »

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 04:08:39 AM »
No.  I wouldn't call either or any of our trucks fast stock.  The 400 is supposed to be stronger.  It doesn't really matter though.  You said this is going to be a "pose" truck and not really driven all that much.  If you were really into both of them...then test drive them both and go check them out.  We really can't tell you much more that what we can see in the pics, you'll have to make the decision on your own.  Good luck!!!
1975 Chevy k20 6" lift 35" BFG MT's True Dual Exhausts Radical Cam

1980 GMC 2500 Parts Truck

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
The 2 tone truck in my opinion is more desirable.  It isn't a base model truck due to the exterior trim, chrome door trim, and interior.
The blue truck is a Custom Deluxe: no chrome and no A/C.  Check the glovebox for the RPO codes on both and compare them.
The transmission doesn't make it slower, but the engine looses about 10-15hp more to turn the TH400 over the TH350.  Both are good trans, just one will take more abuse.

Pricing on the blue one is a little high compared to the optioned Brown one. 

BTW, if you want to find a distinct model, the 77's were the only year that the trim was gold instead of black like all the other years from 73-80 (short of speical editions like the Gentleman Jim for example)

Offline okuma

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 06:38:56 PM »
WOW.......  :o  $3,500usd - $4,300usd is quite expensive for my taste. wow!!!   

Are these the only 2 you have seen?   
I mean can you find a cleaner, cheaper, 2 wheel drive, shortbed for this kind of money?
THE LOWER I GO,..... THE MORE SHE LIKES IT!

Offline avanti

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
WOW.......  :o  $3,500usd - $4,300usd is quite expensive for my taste. wow!!!   

Are these the only 2 you have seen?   
I mean can you find a cleaner, cheaper, 2 wheel drive, shortbed for this kind of money?

This is Scandinavia, unfortunately the clean ones are closer to 10.000USD than 5.000USD :(