Author Topic: 83 K5 Interior Rebuild  (Read 83389 times)

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
Re: 83 K5 Interior Rebuild
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
Since it went to a new page I combined the 2 -- one has a black kickpanel and one has a red kickpanel.

I think this is the last one I'm gonna do -- I don't want to ruin my thread with this and I'm sure you guys will get burned out, too!  I do really appreciate your opinions though! 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:11:48 PM by GoatBeard »

Offline 1983stepside

• Frequent Member
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
Since it went to a new page I combined the 2 -- one has a black kickpanel and one has a red kickpanel.

I think this is the last one I'm gonna do -- I don't want to ruin my thread with this and I'm sure you guys will get burned out, too!  I do really appreciate your opinions though! 

hey man id do the one on the left except id also do the pull strap black instead of red just my 2 cents 8)

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »
Left looks good. See I told ya it'll come together. And just think of it like this these trucks are so versatile if you don't like it change it til ya do. I need to get some pics of the inside of mine and show ya I did mine in charocol/blue. I like it.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:15 PM »
Left one with the red kicks.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »
Cool!  Thanks guys!  I really appreciate your replies, suggestions, etc.  I got the dash in the mail today -- waiting on some speakers and gear indicator parts, then it'll be time to rock!

Left looks good. See I told ya it'll come together. And just think of it like this these trucks are so versatile if you don't like it change it til ya do. I need to get some pics of the inside of mine and show ya I did mine in charocol/blue. I like it.

JR, that was the point in doin' the Photoshop-type stuff -- I don't want to do it but one time!  LOL!  I've already repainted the panels 1 time, so this'll be the 2nd time.  Tell your wife Thanks for her input!  You guys were a big help.  :)

Offline bigfosty

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »
Whatever you decide to go with, it looks great. Nice work.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
Started on my new dash install, panel repaint and amp install...

So far I've basically just made a huge mess (see pics).

The only thing that concerns me so far is whether my 3.5" dash speakers will fit without contacting the bottom of the dash.  I'm gonna try to install 'em below the dash to gain a little extra room.  There's not much room and I don't think you can tell if they are going to hit or not until you actually get the dash on.  Y'all have any tips on that? 

Offline hotrodhauler

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
help me do that ill get some pics of mine and i need to know what i need to do make mine that sharp and not break the budget the wife gives me for my toys or toy now so whats the best way to get all the dash components off the actually metal bottom part of the dash and glove box and everything to make it nice again i also have free run of a junk yard and was looking to pull the dash out of an 87 for my 85 now to paint the top vinyly plastic what should i use

Offline friendlytruck

• altitude !^^^!
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 01:01:09 AM »
good job that gives me hope
Ap riy= [Cha d’fhuaireadh facal Beurla mar Scottish Gaelic]
Life is short gory is eternel

Offline Stantonss

• Registered Users
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »
The only thing that concerns me so far is whether my 3.5" dash speakers will fit without contacting the bottom of the dash.  I'm gonna try to install 'em below the dash to gain a little extra room.  There's not much room and I don't think you can tell if they are going to hit or not until you actually get the dash on.  Y'all have any tips on that? 

My 3.5's fit perfect witht he old dash... However I have a new dash to install and I hope I dont run into any problems....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:48:33 PM by Captkaos »

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2009, 12:22:56 PM »
help me do that ill get some pics of mine and i need to know what i need to do make mine that sharp and not break the budget the wife gives me for my toys or toy now so whats the best way to get all the dash components off the actually metal bottom part of the dash and glove box and everything to make it nice again i also have free run of a junk yard and was looking to pull the dash out of an 87 for my 85 now to paint the top vinyly plastic what should i use

All that stuff is pretty simple to get off, just some screws.  As for the plastic, I have used both Duplicolor's vinyl paint and SEM brand plastic paint.  I like them both -- the most important thing is to clean everything REALLY well and use the bonding primer BEFORE you paint anything.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »
So here's the deal...  When I got the pass side 3.5" speaker out, it was just sitting there.  I read where there is supposed to be a bracket to hold it in, but I didn't have one.  Then, the added height of the 3.5" speaker because of the two-way thing on top of the cone hit the bottom of the dash.

Thanks once again to Chevyrado for the solution.

This is where both speakers are going to go -- the stock 4x10 cutout.

To get to it you have to take out the duct work.  Which is okay because it obviously needs to be cleaned!

With all that out you will have access through this hole.

I have pics of how to make your own template, but to make this easy for anyone who is interested in going this route, I made a printable template.

Click for a larger image

Use either a band saw or a jigsaw to cut your Plexiglas.  I found the bandsaw worked best.

Cut your 3" holes for your 3.5" speakers with a hole saw.

Note:  At this point I broke my first template so I changed the design a little to give more surface between the edge and the connection points.  It was much easier to cut out the 2nd time, especially after I made the printable template.

Here's the end results.  Note that these don't have the mounting bolts in them, yet.  I was test-fitting when I grabbed the pics.  It fits perfect!  Thanks again for the idea and tips, Chevyrado!

Notice the speakers are mounted on the BOTTOM of the Plexiglas. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:39:00 PM by GoatBeard »

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 05:10:47 AM »
Schweet!
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Stantonss

• Registered Users
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
Very innovative!

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
Lookin' great man! Reminds me of my 81 2wd Jimmy. It was red and white too, but not full 2-tone. Just the upper 1/2 was white and lower was red. That was before I had it painted metallic black with a charcoal top. Red interior with the white headliner. I miss it.

That head unit kit, did it come with the textured plastic piece that trims out the area around the head unit?
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.