Author Topic: 83 K5 Interior Rebuild  (Read 83386 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: 83 K5 Interior Rebuild
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »
Just curious;  Does the Quick Roof have any smell to it?

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
I too may use some of your methods when I get to mine. I'll give them back when i',m done, promise! Awesome work! :)
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
Just curious;  Does the Quick Roof have any smell to it?

I've had a lot of people ask me if the Quick Roof has any smell to it.  When I started this project I too was worried about that.  I got a roll of aluminum tape and went over every joint -- I figured that just in case there was a smell, the tape wouldn't allow any stink to escape (besides that it made it look better, etc).  But really, it didn't smell all that much to begin with and once it is installed it had absolutely NO smell to it. 

Down here in the 100% humid-heat of the AL summer if it was gonna smell, it would.  After last summer I am 100% confident when I say it has no smell to it -- even when A LOT of heat is applied!

I couldn't be any more happy with the way that stuff works.  I've heard a lot of discussions about what sound deadener is better than what other sound deadener.  All I know is I can't hear my engine at all and I haven't done my doors, yet.  I don't see how much quieter you could make something -- the $250+ I saved bought me a lot of other parts I needed!   ;D

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
Pic with both seats installed. 

I've got my new BLACK dash on the way (ordered from here BTW, awesome deal!).  Now I can't decide if I need to paint my door panels and kick panels black, or not.  Maybe I should just paint it like this?  See pic below.  I'm stumped.  I could still paint the dash red, which is an option.  I need y'alls help!!

(remember, I don't have the black dash installed, yet -- this is my attempt at a photoshop-type program.)

The whole point in doing all that stuff black is so that it'll blend with the back panels I made.  See below:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:58:48 AM by GoatBeard »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »
I would go with the same color as your door panels/console, but....
BTW, it is being shipped this evening.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
You mean paint the dash to match the red? 

Or do you mean just leave everything like it is (except maybe paint the handle red like it's supposed to be)?.

I think the whole rear panels being black is throwing everything off...like should I make the front match the back, or not?  That is the question...   :D

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 06:03:17 PM »
I would paint the dash to match the console and paint he insert black.  I think to much black will take away from  your red...

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »
I don't disagree.  It's kinda nice to be able to Paint Shop Pro (PSP) the panels before actually doing any work to 'em -- just to get some sort of idea of what it'll look like beforehand. 

I guess the other option would be to repaint the entire door panel black and leave all the attached accessories (pull strap, carpeted insert, bag, carpet at bottom of door, and maybe the handle) red.  I might try to do a PSP edit of the picture like that, then try to make a final decision.

Oh yeah, if I ever get enough money to redo my seats -- that's another place where I could easily do a black/red 2-tone (which, in the end may be what ties everything together).

I never would have thought things like color decisions would be the hardest part of this entire project...seriously.

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
I guess the other option would be to repaint the entire door panel black and leave all the attached accessories (pull strap, carpeted insert, bag, carpet at bottom of door, and maybe the handle) red.

That is the way I would go,I'm planning the same thing in black & grey.
1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Photoshop just the doorpanel black with the velour insert red, map pocket red and the lower panel red.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 11:40:34 AM »
If I knew what I was doing it might look better -- but this is the general idea.  I'm still not sure about it.

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
Ok I think I got it. I looked  at it and typed out a good idea but after I reread it, it didn't sound right so I erased it and asked my wife, who is great at decorating stuff. Something just didn't seem to flow right so we think that if your going with black keep it uniform from a point if the red is staying on the bottom of the doors then make your kick panel/speaker pods red also keep the red insert in the doors but loose the red pockets then are you going to do anything with all the headliner trim if so maybe do it black also. My wife said its to "busy" it would give you a headache, lol. Just some thought. You'll get it, its looking good.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »
I think you are going to have to make the pocket black also, but you may need to make the lower portion of the dash black too.  That way it appears that a wide black stripe is running through the center with red highlights.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
Trucks lookin great man, great work!

I think you are going to have to make the pocket black also, but you may need to make the lower portion of the dash black too.  That way it appears that a wide black stripe is running through the center with red highlights.

That sounds like a great idea...
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »

I think this one looks best so far.  What y'all think?  Kinda hard to make that bag look like a bag.  ;)  I also painted the kickpanel with speaker pod all red, like JRC suggested. 

I'm not sure about doing the ceiling and other white trim pieces in black.  I was going to do them in white.  I really wish I could find some sort of off-white as I'm afraid that stark white will be overpowering.

Also, I didn't do the painted part under the dash, yet.  With my poor photoshop-type skills, it'd probably look terrible -- like a big black blob.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:45:39 PM by GoatBeard »