Author Topic: Things you hate about our trucks  (Read 38999 times)

Offline JRConnieK10

Re: Things you hate about our trucks
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 09:52:03 AM »
Gee lets see, I hate trying to work under the dash even if you take the seat out there is that stupid hump in the floor its just a pain to get under compfortably.
 I hate the turning radius also mine really stinks.
The poor way the body lines fit. It takes so much work to try to get them perfect. My truck has all GM parts and it was still a pain I find things that don't look right all the time drives me nuts.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
As you may have guessed, my only real complaint is the engine is too physically difficult to work on in the engine bay----the engine bay is too large which makes things difficult to reach.  Of course most pickup trucks probably have this problem.

i have some interesting solutions which i'll get into as soon as my other problem is taken care of.  And not the simplex idea either.

Offline The dream

• Registered Users
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »
The only thing I HATE is that i don't have enough money to have the truck like i would like to !!!  ;)
Never give up.

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
Having owned two of these things (first was an 81 GMC Jimmy 2wd, stock 305 2bbl, first ever vehicle, 1991-1993) and now my shorty, here's what I really do not like:

- corrossion-catching cab corners and rear fenders, behind the tires
- poorly fitting body panels
- the turning radius. What is UP with this??? Probably my biggest peeve. I've had longer vehicles turn much sharper. I could have sworn my Jimmy turned better, but it was shorter so yeah it probably did.
- never-ending wind noise. Biggest peeve #2.
- bad instrument lighting
- lack of cab depth and no extended cab ever from the factory. Sometimes it's hard to believe this is a full-size truck.
- crooked beds that develop over time. I've replaced my body bushings and I think my one side is still about 1/4" out.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
The turning radius can be optimized. Many times it's just improper alignment angles.

first was an 81 GMC Jimmy 2wd

pix please! lol
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
My 81 k20 can do your normal 3-point turn and my 85 1500 can do the same turn in like 5 points. lol
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
The turning radius can be optimized. Many times it's just improper alignment angles.

first was an 81 GMC Jimmy 2wd

pix please! lol

Yeah I gotta get them scanned. The pics are polaroids from 1992!  lol  It was a sweet high school ride though with the removable top and back seat. Posi diff (not like the 305 would turn the tires anyway, but it was handy in the winter), rally's, Sierra Classic, red interior, originally red with white upper but then my mom got me a paint job for my 17th birthday and I had it painted metallic black with GM Slate Grey top. It was sharp. Since I had one of a couple of 2wd Blazer/Jimmy's in town, everybody thought I had a 'lowrider'  lol  It had these deep aluminum running boards on it too which sort of enhanced the effect. The day after I traded it in for a 1988 Mustang GT, my brother phones and says he wants it  lol  He ended up finding a 1980 2wd Jimmy in black and silver. Not as nice condition as mine was though.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »
well hurry and scan pix
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline nucknoel89

• Frequent Member
  • Proud to be Canadian!
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »
As you may have guessed, my only real complaint is the engine is too physically difficult to work on in the engine bay----the engine bay is too large which makes things difficult to reach.  Of course most pickup trucks probably have this problem.

i have some interesting solutions which i'll get into as soon as my other problem is taken care of.  And not the simplex idea either.
Really?  I think the large bay makes it easier to work on, better than some junky Japanese car where everything's packed together like a can of sardines....

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »

Really?  I think the large bay makes it easier to work on, better than some junky Japanese car where everything's packed together like a can of sardines....

+1

If you have trouble reaching, just crawl right up in there. I got footprints on both inner fenders.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
Get one of these

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
drop it
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline dumbucket1

• Too Many Trucks
  • Coal Hauler
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
I have had over a dozen 73-87 chevy trucks and all of them had a problem with leaning on the front passenger side.
Chevy and GMC trucks ranging from 1973 to 2007

Offline JohnnyMac333

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »

+1

If you have trouble reaching, just crawl right up in there. I got footprints on both inner fenders.

Hahaha. This obviously is a controversial subject, of which I am conflicted about myself. I remember when I changed the sparkplugs when I first got my truck, it was the first thing I did really in the engine bay. I remember replacing the cylinder 8 plug and thinking "ok. This is about 4 feet back from the grill, and about 2 feet below the windshield. This has got to be just under 5 feet straight from where i am looking at it. And I'm only just under 6 feet tall..." All and all I'd say it's a mixed blessing. I will say that I much prefer working on my truck where I have to reach for everything than do ANYTHING to my Civic, where everything IS as aptly described as being crammed in like Rosie O Donnell in a wetsuit. Of course, I really don't ever NEED to do anything to the Civic. It's a pretty reliable car. It just doesn't have the benefit of being as bad as the truck, and unfortunately it has more than just the close relation between engine components in common with a can of sardines...the power is pretty comparable too  :D

That wheel stand is pretty bad ass though. Taking the hood off has some benefit also.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »

+1

Hahaha. This obviously is a controversial subject, of which I am conflicted about myself. I remember when I changed the sparkplugs when I first got my truck, it was the first thing I did really in the engine bay. I remember replacing the cylinder 8 plug and thinking "ok. This is about 4 feet back from the grill, and about 2 feet below the windshield. This has got to be just under 5 feet straight from where i am looking at it. And I'm only just under 6 feet tall..." All and all I'd say it's a mixed blessing. I will say that I much prefer working on my truck where I have to reach for everything than do ANYTHING to my Civic, where everything IS as aptly described as being crammed in like Rosie O Donnell in a wetsuit. Of course, I really don't ever NEED to do anything to the Civic. It's a pretty reliable car. It just doesn't have the benefit of being as bad as the truck, and unfortunately it has more than just the close relation between engine components in common with a can of sardines...the power is pretty comparable too  :D

That wheel stand is pretty bad butt though. Taking the hood off has some benefit also.
A couple of 2ft extensions are also helpful
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)