Author Topic: quadrajet  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Buddy

• Frequent Member
quadrajet
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
I just bought a used carb, I need to know what type of bolts and lentghs hold this down to the dome. any body have any idea. I just have thae carb and am replacing the one that is on my truck now and they are different all together. taking the holley off and putting the quadrajet on. had a guy stop by last night and told me that the holley was way to big for my motor. that hat is causeing all my problems.

Offline Grim 82

Re: quadrajet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
that hat is causeing all my problems.
Then it's time for a new hat, lol.

Are you wondering about the 4 bolts that hold the carb to the intake or are you missing screws that hold the carb together?
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Buddy

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
no the carb is complete just looking for the length and size of the bolts that hold it to the dome. The bolts didn't come with the carb and the one's I have now on my carb are way different

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »
So you just need longer bolts then. I have a couple q-jets in my garage that I can measure later. The q-jet usually uses a thicker gasket, so the 2 front bolts have about an inch of thread, and the back 2 have about 2 1/2", give or take. Are you using a spreadbore or a squarebore intake?
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Buddy

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
i have the gasket. I know that iy has to blot right to the dome. or at least i think it has to. I havn't taken the holley off yet. I know that i think  will have to remove the spacer thats there now. so I really dont have an answer to your question as I am not sure exactly what you mean. I will have to check

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
If you are using the stock (spreadbore) intake manifold the q-jet will bolt right on. If you are using an aftermarket squarebore intake you will need an adapter plate to make it work. It sounds like you are already using an adapter from spread to square for the Holley, so I'm guessing that your intake is stock. You should be good to go.

If you would have said that you are using a Holley on a stock intake without an adapter, I would have suggested your problem was a massive vacuum leak.

Here's the different intakes

Offline Buddy

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
mine is the one in the first pic.  I am also using a double fuel line for the holley. I have to get rid of that for the quadradjet. How do i go about that.  I will need some type of a threaded fitting I assume. The quad has a spot to thread a line into but the feul line I am using now just goes from rubber to a double chrome line. So you are saying that my carb (quad) will bolt right up to the dome in the firt pic correct? if thats the case that is great, just need to know what bolt to use now,I will have to but these

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
Yes, the q-jet will bolt right up. I would try to find a stock metal fuel line from the pump to the carb.

Offline 756man

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
Buddy, what country are you from, where they call an intake manifold a dome ? Just curious.
1985 Chevy K-20 longstepside, 350,Turbo 400

Offline Buddy

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:55:32 PM »
I am from Canada.... I will make sure I call it a intake from now on..... :-[

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »
Buddy, what country are you from, where they call an intake manifold a dome ? Just curious.
You beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the posts :o A dome? not bad. I had a guy the other day telling me about his engine & he pulled "the center head" off of it...that was a new one. I've learned Two new words in the past week ;) Lorne