Author Topic: No Toolbox  (Read 6151 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
No Toolbox
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
I took my toolbox off to find rust underneath it, So since it's off I've left it off for about a week now and I'm starting to think the truck looks way nicer and cleaner without it.

Nasty

I've also decided that after I get springs and shocks on there, I need a spray in bedliner.  It'll be color matched and Over the Rail.  I'm tired of having to be so careful when actually working the truck, it makes a lot of jobs 38% harder having to be so careful of the rails.  After last weekend, Hauled 3 loads of scrap steel and 9 loads of wood scraps, etc.  I was cussing the rails and the the kids were getting as tired of me making them watch out as I was telling them to.  This will also allow me to get rid of the SS protector strip on the tailgate while I'm at it.  I talked to the linex guy today and it sounds like I really want it.  Can't go wrong getting it.

So on to another whachutink.  Should I keep the toolbox or not.  I think in the last year I've only used it 10 times or less.  I have time to think on it, but if I keep the box I don't need to have the mounting holes in the rails welded up, and if I do get rid of the box, I can have them welded up now and the bedliner will cover it up like it never happened.

There are some pics WITH the toolbox here:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=20006.0

Here's a couple a pics without the toolbox I took today.  It seems to look nicer or something.

Maybe, if I go without the box, I'll put the cab trim on it later to fill the gap under the window.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:07:42 PM by 78 Chevyrado »
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
Re: No Toolbox
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
I like it! I've never been a fan of the over the beside toolboxes, I've got mine in the bed itself.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline jaredts

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:07:40 PM »
If you really don't use it, I guess you're better off without it.  I do think it looks good both ways, though.  I don't have one now but have liked having a box to easily stash stuff in on other trucks I've owned.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
I would weld up the holes and spray the rails. When you come across a need for the box, there are J clamps that grip under the bed rail to lock in the box. Dont be confused with the J hooks which grab the rail lip-those bend the metal. Ill get you a link if you want.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
I would weld up the holes and spray the rails. When you come across a need for the box, there are J clamps that grip under the bed rail to lock in the box. Dont be confused with the J hooks which grab the rail lip-those bend the metal. Ill get you a link if you want.

I would love that link!  If those will work well, I'd rather do that in any case.  I don't like holes, they rust almost no matter what you do to them.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
     I agree with everyone else, I don't like the tool boxes over the rails, and beastie has a great point, when you need it you can use it then take it off.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
You could leave the holes and just plug them with a body plug. if you decide to ever put in the tool box it's no big deal to just pop the plugs out.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
These will work for you. You can order them online or go to any truck accessory store that sells tool boxes or Leer brand camper shells. A good Leer dealer will have these in stock because it offers a no drill installation for their shells because of the shell design. I used to work for a store for 5 years and customers like the no drill option. In the link, you can see the difference between the two clamps I was talking about, and you can see why the J hook would damage the lip. The clamp grips the underside of the rail, not the edge. 13 bucks is a fair price if you cant find them locally.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.challenger-toolbox-mounting-kit/

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
I always have chest style tool boxes in my trucks. I don't like them on top of the rails for looks and for visibility.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
It looks cleaner without it, but not bad by any means with it. I always run with an over the rails lockable tool box because most of the chest style boxes aren't wide enough to fit a cased long gun, hi-lift jack, etc.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
Thanks beastie, I'll get some of them if I decide to get another toolbox.  I'm liking it a LOT better without it.   

Now I just have to decide rather I want a Black of color matched line-X bedliner.  It will be over the rail, to cover up the damage from the toolbox and from use.  I want the color matched one, but its like $685 for a black liner with the XTRA part (which I want), or it's $960 for a color matched one.  It's only like $300 more, but I don't like the sound of a $1000+ bedliner. 

What yall think?  Think it's worth price the difference?
Kenny

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
Awesome look either way.  I haven't had a toolbox in quite a while due to a cap on my worker.  I will probably go with a low profile for the yellow one just to add some contrast to the all yellow truck
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
Here's a suggestion - If you want to save some money, pick up a gallon of rustoleum bedliner and get a cheap undercoating gun. You can do it yourself for under $100 bucks. If you want it really thick buy two gallons and apply a second coat after 24hrs. I did one recently for someone and it came out real nice.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10