Author Topic: is it suppose to be there ?  (Read 16659 times)

Offline frogman68

is it suppose to be there ?
« on: December 25, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »
Took the seats out of the Blazer and the passenger side has a steel plate driver side has pieces of aluminum . are they suppose to be there ? or was this added for strength since the floor is bad ?

Offline hotrod24

Re: is it suppose to be there ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
hey frog i have not messed with a blazer much but i am sure that is a peace of metal that someone put there i would unbuilt it and see what you got  ;)
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline frogman68

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
hey frog i have not messed with a blazer much but i am sure that is a peace of metal that someone put there i would unbuilt it and see what you got  ;)

thanks I know whats underneath :) Lots of ROT if it is suppose to be there I will put em back after I fix the rot

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
that is what i thought someone getting out the easy way and just covering up the rot >:(
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 08:22:15 AM »
Looks like someone bolted a speed limit sign to your floor for a cheesy rot repair.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline frogman68

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
Not a Stop Sign its like 1/8 maybe 3/16 plate steel on the passenger side I will say its not suppose to be there and not put it back :) thanks

Offline frogman68

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
Question for the Body people as I have no clue  ;D

The rear cab mount I just ordered 2 they state they are 17 inches long which gives 34 inches what goes in the middle ? I havent measured it but its got to be close to 6 feet

Thinking either square tube or angle iron

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
Is it bad all the way across?

Offline frogman68

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 04:46:58 AM »
Is it bad all the way across?

What I can reach feels pretty soft I think this thing is going to be called the Rusty Bucket lol the original owner towed a boat and launched it in salt water and never washed the bottom of it plus it was NJ truck

Just got some 1 inch square tubing 1/16 thick for the rear floor supports I will get some pics was just too embarrassed as this was the truck I learned to weld on and I "Fabbed" it together to pass inspection

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »
hi,
i just put the rear cab mount patch on my blazer. they are just for the outside edges. usually that is where the rot is. They are slip on. So just cut out what is rotten only. I have a really junky blazer that i did front and rear cab supports, floors, body mounts, cargo area , and tail pan. How is your tail pan? mine was rusted to oblivion. :o

Offline frogman68

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »
hi,
i just put the rear cab mount patch on my blazer. they are just for the outside edges. usually that is where the rot is. They are slip on. So just cut out what is rotten only. I have a really junky blazer that i did front and rear cab supports, floors, body mounts, cargo area , and tail pan. How is your tail pan? mine was rusted to oblivion. :o

Everything is shot!!! This rust bucket needs (which I got today) from the (what) tailpan forward all gone floor supports which I will have to make other parts that I have no idea what they are called and arent made I will have to make. My biggest "problem" according to my wife is I over engineer the stuff I make :) here is a example.

Looked like it was made out of 16 ga steel but both sides are shot it goes up to the "bed"

I took some 2 inch (1/8 thick) angle iron and made a new and improved one :)

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
nice job. looks good. i did mine with a 2" sqare tube and cut one side off to make the channel . i want to upload some pics for you. might give you some ideas for making your pieces. i just have to find my usb cord for my camera ???

Offline frogman68

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »
nice job. looks good. i did mine with a 2" sqare tube and cut one side off to make the channel . i want to upload some pics for you. might give you some ideas for making your pieces. i just have to find my usb cord for my camera ???

Thanks

Last piece I have to make for underneath is a "inner cab corner" not sure if that is what its called on a Blazer lol but it connects the rocker to the rear cab mount and the rear quarter . I have "rebuilt" the bottom of the pillar since that was gone but going to take that apart and hopefully do a better job .

Tomorrow getting up and coating all the floor pieces with Chassis Saver then cutting the tailgate out :) its welded to the floor it was the only way I could see how to fix it before I found this site :) I am hoping to get the new tailpan in and hopefully the two rear floor pieces in. going to cut small sections of the floor out and put in the 1 in square tube in so the bed doesnt cave in :)

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
Ya know, I know it's a shot in the dark. Your floor boards look familiar. A fella I knew a while back (10yrs or so)was puttin panals like that into a (I think) white and grey Blazer. His name was Elliott. This wouldn't happen to be the same one would it?
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!

Offline frogman68

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
Ya know, I know it's a shot in the dark. Your floor boards look familiar. A fella I knew a while back (10yrs or so)was puttin panals like that into a (I think) white and grey Blazer. His name was Elliott. This wouldn't happen to be the same one would it?

Nope this was a Jersey truck and towed a boat to salt water and wasnt washed afterwards