Author Topic: z max?!  (Read 6480 times)

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
z max?!
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:34:10 AM »
has anyone tried the z max oil and gas treatment? i have seen a lot about it on tv. truck u did a thing on it and it seems like it would work from the demonstrations they were doing. but does it really work?
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: z max?!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 04:17:06 PM »
What exactly are you hoping it will do for you?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »
In the past I have spent lots of money on these type of liquid upgrades. The only thing I have found that works for me, is Berrymans carb and injector cleaner. I have had good luck with them, but I dont use it every tank, or every month for that matter. I think alot of these things are snake oil in a can.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
i dont really know what im expecting out of it. i guess i want it to bring back some of the power it used to have. i was just wondering if anyone has used it. i have heard a lot of good things about it.
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:19 PM »
I dont buy the idea that it restores power. Good quality oil, possibly synthetic, a good tuneup using quality parts, maybe a carb overhaul, or replacement, these things will help restore power. If your engine has alot of miles on it, the power loss is due to loss in compression, carberation efficiency etc. There is nothing in a bottle that will repair normal wear. This is just my opinion, not any facts that I have proven. I just dont see the logic. I use the Berrymans because it cleans injectors, carberators, and have seen it clean up some plugs in an engine. If the plugs clean up some, then the cylinder should be cleaning up as well. But, compression loss due to wear isnt going to be helped by this.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
well thats a good way to put it. lol
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:02 PM »
If more power it what you are after, it isn't worth it. 

Offline sampsonjoseph

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
I've used it before and they say you can tell a difference when you drive your truck well i didn't notice any difference.  That's just my experience

Offline campcrf

• Registered Users
  • stroked
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
good ol lucus oil additive works for older engines.... and work very well.
   just my 2 cents of canadian beer...lol
-smile-... Just because its contageous

Offline sampsonjoseph

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »
He's right Lucas has never done me wrong either.

Offline Just-speed

• 84K10 350/700r4
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »
Guys.  Lucas is the best. I agree.   I have used Lucas for as long as I can remember.  I have run Valvoline VR1 racing oil and Lucas togehter for years.   My current truck holds 11 quarts of oil and because of that oil changes are way up there for me.  VR1 is pricey. But I only change my oil about once a year. ( I dont get 3000 miles a year out of my truck.) But I run the truck like a scalded dog.

11 Quarts you ask?  7 quart oil pan. 2 oil coolers daul filter remote mount.   

Why so much.   Listen I used to have an 83 Camaro that as a young person I wasted all my money on. It was an 11sec car but also my only means of transportation.   The biggest problem I ever had was keeping that monster cool. I wasted more money on fans Rads and etc trying to keep it cool.  On night I was at the track and this guy told me. He said you will never keep a 450 hp engine cool in a car like that without cooling the oil too.   I took his advice and invested in an Oil cooler for that camaro.  The guy was right.  I started running 20 degrees cooler just from an oil cooler.    I have took what I learned with me.    In my current money pit ( wife lingo) I run dual Oil coolers.  Dual tranny coolers and have temp quages to see what I am running.  I never have any issues.  Mater of fact I can have the A/C on and it be 100 degrees out and be pulling a 10000lbs load behind me and never see oil tranny or water temps raise above normal.    Coolers save parts.      And Lucas is a Fantastic product.   It helps to stop the oil from breaking down.  Thats all you need.   
Let GM go belly up! I got what I wanted. Thanks for building the best truck ever.

Offline team39763

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
I haven't seen it for myself, but there is supposed to be some kind of lawsuit against the makers of ZMAX over this product.  I believe they said it trashed a bunch of engines and is harmful to your motor in the long run.  Actually, I have seen the page with the negative claims, but I just didn't read any of it.  I'll see if I can find it again.