Author Topic: Rebuilding my 87  (Read 94648 times)

Offline fptransport

Re: Rebuilding my 87
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
nice progress. man., on the 1st. pic with the mount adapters ,, is that the pass on driver side?,,if its the pass driver's I think you may have the plates in the opposite side,what i mean is the 3 bolts for the clam shell are towards the front of the engine I dont know if I am making any sense see here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382298   so you know what I mean..post 4 you can see plate mounted on the driver side.. are you going to run a/c?  that link also shows that the plates are on the way and it shows how to modify them. thats on a 86 swap
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:48:08 PM by fptransport »

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »

Yes that is the passenger side.. I checked that link that is how I got mine done. But I wonder about the clam shell mount. can you put the right on the left  and left on right? is there a difference? everything lines up as far as transmission mount and all.. I did not think they looked right but I am not sure. I looked t all the pictures in that link and it looks the same as mine. The instruction are not very instructive. I got them on the way it shows with the point of the mount facing the front of the engine but thanks for the tip I am going to check it out some more. To me anyway never hurts to have an extra set of eyes. But yes I am going to run A/C but I am getting all new Brackets will move the a/c compressor to the top and alternator up and over to the side more and will bring the P/S Pump up as well but it will be hidden.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by 87OldYeller »

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
I do not know anything about this so this is what I need to know.

I got the transmission n all bolted in right. I did not have to move the cross member, it is all the way forward, here are some pictures of the drive shaft in the pictures I have it bolted into the yolk in the rear end. By judging how much is at the transmission do I need to have the drive shaft cut and shortened or does it look to yall like it will be fine? To me it looks like it would be ok but I do not remember how far it was in the old transmission.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
You need about 1/2"-3/4" of slack for in/out movement.  Is it bottomed out with it in that position?

Offline fptransport

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
from the what i can see in the pic,, the marks seems like you can almost see the marks to where it used to go into the old transm?.. reason why I was asking about the a/c is because on that link I gave you they show how to modify the mount stand so you can use the compressor in the original position with out notching the frame...

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
You need about 1/2"-3/4" of slack for in/out movement.  Is it bottomed out with it in that position?

I dont know the transmission has some dirt on the inside of the seal from where they were pulling it they let the tail shaft hit the ground i am going to put in a new seal and try to clean it before i put the shaft in the transmission.

Offline fptransport

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
your making good progress.. I my mount adapters should be here wed. and I am just about to finish on the harness.. so once I get the plates I am gonna start putting everything back on mine...

Offline fptransport

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
any updates? ???

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
No sorry nothing acutally took some steps back, I am in the middle of moving to a new house so i have to bolt the bed back on and rear fenders just so it can be moved then i have to pull them back off so i can use that Por-15 on frame. Hope to move it to the shop tommrow and then I will be able to get a lot of work done to it. But we will see.

Offline fptransport

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
congrats on the new house... thats not a step back,, its just a little bump in the road  :D.. I took my engine off and put the new 5.3/4l60e in.. was going to put a cam in it.. but decided I was going to wait untill I have it running and fix all the little things that might come, will start my own build thread soon...

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
well you should would like to see some pictures.. But yea i moved it tonight up to the shop where i can work on it in the afternoon will be nice to have a/c and or heat in the shop, hard dry floors and all the tools and work space i need. But as soon as i get back from Tn. I will have the harness done and computer done as well hope to start it shortly after getting back.

Offline aussie

• Registered Users
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
looking great !!!!

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
Got my truck into the shop so i can work on it regardless of weather conditions. here are some very short updates most of the work that has been done is painting.

Offline 1983stepside

• Frequent Member
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:48 AM »
wow thats a nice shop you have there, i take it that it came with the new house? should take a few more pics of the shop give us a tour of the place keep up the good work tho 8)

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
acutally i did not.. *L* I am a mechanic in the U.S. Coast Guard that is one of our shop i have 24 hr access to with air over head crane heat/ a/c nice bathroom.. I could live here if i did not have a wife. :) but i will post more i got a bit more work done to the truck.