Author Topic: turn signal lever  (Read 5805 times)

Offline jjl

turn signal lever
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »
Hi, I'm new here. I just purchased an 87 v10 short bed. The turn signal lever is not connected to the turn signal switch in the column. I was wondering what part I am missing and where to purchase? I haven't been successful yet at fixing this problem. Thanks in advance.

justin
jj

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: turn signal lever
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Well is the lever broke or the cam"plastic part in the column" that the leaver bolts to eather one any parts store will have them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Also I'm on my phone or I would bring  up a post about it. Do a search for fixing the slop in a tilt column or someone should post it up here for ya

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jjl

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
I removed the steering wheel and the turn signals work without the lever. the lever is attached to something i assume goes to wipers. there is nothing between the lever and plastic turn signal switch to hold lever rigid against it and to switch turn signals from each side.
jj

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »
For an 87 the stalk in the off position slides straight in.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
What vile said there should be.a shaft with a niple in it that alows the lever to slide in if there is no shaft you need atleast the lever. Check the cam for the shaft try to remove it. Do you have cruise?

Offline jjl

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:18:58 PM »
I do not have cruise. I have a manual transmission, no tilt. Lever controls high beam, wipers, fluid, and turn signals. The cam looks as a new one is sold. I see no shaft to cam. The lever (assembly?) looks as if it has places a shaft should snap in, i'm guessing.
jj

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
The lever should have a shaft coming off the end of it the shft then slides into the cam. Goto autozone.com and look for the turn signal lever and compair it to yours

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »
should look like this

but yours may be black

Offline Marc

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »
There is a flattish stamped piece of metal with a tit on one end that fits in a groove in the wiper switch (that the turn signal arm clips into) and the other end is held on the turn signal switch with a phillips head screw.  Maybe it is missing.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:54:33 AM »
It just clips in no screw

Offline Marc

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »
the turn signal lever just clips into the wiper switch, but I am sure there's a screw on the piece that connects the wiper switch to the turn signal switch. 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QiGayPAPzBo/R8DNqcf1w-I/AAAAAAAAA3Q/s41orB8A6Z4/s1600-h/IMG_2107.JPG

it's up and to the left of the steering shaft nub in the above pic.  If his turn signal lever is properly in the wiper switch, and working the wipers and dimmer switch, but not the turn signal I would say there's a problem with the part pictured above.

Offline jjl

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
Yes. I assume I am missing this part. I have asked oreilly's and napa. No luck yet. Obviously i don't have a part number or description. Any further help would be appreciated. The lever is fine, the switch works, the two are just not connected. Thanks,
jj