Author Topic: Transfer Case Backed Out and Cracked Tranny Housing.....Why???  (Read 7513 times)

Offline 84silveradok10

Transfer Case Backed Out and Cracked Tranny Housing.....Why???
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I was out offroading last night, I was just doing some light mudding and hill climbing but nothing to extreme, I pretty much just crept around in 4-lo. On the way home I noticed my tranny was slipping, it got worse quick and wouldn't go anymore when I hit the gas, like I was in neutral. So I rolled to a stop and got under her and looked around. I noticed my transfer case was about an inch separated back from my transmission and all the bolts had backed their way out. 1 was missing altogether the other 3 were back all the way out. The top drivers side one held on long enough to snap the top back section of the transmission off (I still have the piece), not a huge piece but enough that it doesn't seal tight any more and there is no hole for the top drivers bolt anymore.  

The Trucks Stats: 1984 K10 Silverado, 350 Stock engine, 700r4, NP208 lowered 1" with stock spacers, rough country 4 inch lift, 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear 3.07 gears F&R. 35" BFG K/M2's

I'm not sure what caused this, I was just under it a few days ago and put new transmission mounts on her and checked all 4 of the bolts that and they were tight. So they didn't do it gradually over time, they backed out in a matter of days. I'm wondering if changing the transmission mounts had something to do with it, although it doesn't make sense why they would make that happen?

So mainly my questions are?
1. What would cause this to happen?
2. Can the case be welded back together?
3. If I do need a new transmission where, would you reccomend I get one at?

84' K-10 Silverado Shortbed
350, 700R4, 10B Front, 12B Rear
Accel HEI Ignition
4" Rough Country Suspension Lift
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline Layne

Re: Transfer Case Backed Out and Cracked Tranny Housing.....Why???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
I split my case in aug... Had a hole you could stick your fist into. But It drove fine Hahaha. I didn't loctite my torque converter bolts. I was told that you can't weld the case. I'd snoop around in a junkyard for a case and build a trans. Craigslist has got tons of trannies by me. Have you tried that?
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »
Most likely improper torque assuming the correct bolts are installed. There is also a support that connects the T-case to the bellhousing which I also assume isn't there? Thread locker is a good idea too. What exactly is cracked? Pix?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Here is a pic of the piece that broke. Its dark out now and I can't get a picture with my camera, but this is the same piece. I highlighted what had broken off. I actually found this part on ebay for sale, so I can just replace this part and not have to worry about a new tranny :).

Any idea what the torque setting on those bolts are, for future reference?
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline bigwillie82

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
wow mine broke also but both ears broke. had no clue when it happend either. curious to see what caused it though.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:40 AM »
I have completely demolished several of those most of them have been in front of NP 208s over the years. Have never just broke a little piece off!  ;D
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »
 >:( I just looked under her this morning and its not the transmission to transfer case adapter that broke its actually the tranny it self! It's right in front of the spot I circled on the pic, where it mounts to the tranny that snapped! Am I'm going to need a new tranny, or can I just get an old tranny case and swap the parts? If not should I go with a used tranny or try to find a rebuilt one for cheap?e
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
If it's just that part you can have it welded. Tig would be my choice. You never answered, is that support bracket missing?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:30:40 PM »
I looked under here and I'm assuming you mean the support rod that runs from up by the bell housing to the passenger side of the tranfer case. It is there. Unless there is another support rod that I'm not seeing?

I just decided to get a rebuilt trans installed in her and not have to worry about the headache, plus its warrentied so if it does it again at least it will be covered.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
Is this rod that is talked about on all vehicles or some/others?

Offline fitz

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »
I just decided to get a rebuilt trans installed in her and not have to worry about the headache, plus its warrentied so if it does it again at least it will be covered.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Are you sure they will warranty the case itself against cracking? you may want to get that in writing to be on the safe side.