Author Topic: please someone shed some light on what could be wrong with my suspension!  (Read 17620 times)

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
Re: please someone shed some light on what could be wrong with my suspension!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »
i found a coulple things that were making the noise the tailgate, and the trim that bolts to the tailgate. also a metal sleeve that i guess clamps the leafs together. i looked at the body mounts and they look new they dont have any cracks on them the previous owner must have changed them. is there a possibility they heated the leaf springs to to lower the rear? how many leafs are there suposed to be? someone heated the front springs, so they meay have done the rears also. and with the new springs it helped a little

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
well if your front springs have been heated, then that might be your issue. Never heard of someone heating leafs, but not to day it isnt done. Do you have extended shackles in the rear?

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
could always try to pull a leaf out of the rear to soften it up a little.  not sure what else you could do to the front.   as i said, these trucks always rode hard, never like a caddy.
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
well if your front springs have been heated, then that might be your issue. Never heard of someone heating leafs, but not to day it isnt done. Do you have extended shackles in the rear?

i alredy changed the front springs. i have not changed the shackles, but not sure of the previous owner, they look short so im guessing there stock. the truck looks lowered in the rear to me, but not sure how it was done. are extented shackles longer or shorter than stock?

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »
I really appricate your guys help, i hope i get this fixed, this truck is my weekend toy so i would like to get it to drive nice.

How many leafs are these trucks suposed to have?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:05:21 AM by lechez71 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 03:53:40 AM »
The amount of leaves depends on the trucks weighting what it was meant to do. my 94 1/2 ton has only 3 I think at the most while if I can remember right my 86 1/2 ton had 5. The shackles would be longer I doubt someone would try to heat up the leafs but who knows if they did I doubt they heated it up right it should look like a snake being all bent up and all.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline royo

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »
Its more than likely down on the bump stops. Take us a few pics of it . or the suspension.

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
ok will do thanks. ill get pics of the front and rear bump stops.

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »
ok guys i got pics of the bump stops. the front has a 1 1/2" clearance and the rear has 3".

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
I would probably shave some off the front bumpstop, so you have at least 3" of travel.  Did that bumpstop come with your springs?

The rear is stock and looks fine per the picture.  I assume it has shackle/hangers based on the rear not being flipped.

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
no i bought these universal energy suspenion bump stops from my local auto parts, they did not come with the springs. i really dont no how the rear is lowered it was like that when i bought the truck. ill take pics of the rear.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
Cut the front bumpstop. you are most likely bottoming out.  If you want to be sure put a bunch of grease on the top of it and drive it.,

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
i really dont understand how the rear is lowered it has all the leafs, stock hangers and shackles. heres a pic sorry for how filthy it is its been raining and very cold. thanks im gonna cut the front rubber like you said,also gonna put clay to see if it bottoms out.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:33:56 PM by lechez71 »

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
nevermind on the remove a leaf in the rear thing, looks like  it's been done already.   if not then they are lowered leafs in the rear.the shackle and all looks like stock.   

i agree that the front bump stop is probably hitting on bumps. do as was said and put some grease on the top of it and drive it.  if the grease is disturbed,  cut some off the bump stop.
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline lechez71

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »
ok gonna do as said. hopfully tomorrow, it sucks layin on concrete in 30 degree weather.