Author Topic: Problem finding a u joint that fits  (Read 6154 times)

Offline 84chevysilverado

• Frequent Member
Problem finding a u joint that fits
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
I Am in the process of replacing my rear drive shaft u joints and I ran into an issue. The parts guys say that both u joints on the rear shaft are identicle so I got both u joints. When i tried to put the u joint in in the front position where the slip yoke is I noticed that the cup size on the shaft match my new u joint but the cup sizes on the slip yoke are way bigger. If you look at the u joint 2 cups are small and 2 cups are quite a bit bigger. The local napa dealer cant seem to find anything like this u joint. Its an 81 jimmy with a np208 transfer case as far as I know its all from factory. Anyone had this prob or no where I can find this u joint? On the u joint is stamped spicer to with a set of numbers we tried to cross match them at the store but had no results
I'D RATHER PUSH A CHEVY THAN DRIVE A FORD

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: Problem finding a u joint that fits
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
The drive shaft is probably from a different vehicle. What you need is a conversion ujoint. Fo you have the old one(s) still? Take those to the store with you if you do
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
The drive shaft is probably from a different vehicle. What you need is a conversion ujoint. Fo you have the old one(s) still? Take those to the store with you if you do

x2, take the old ones and match them up, don't worry about finding year and make, match what you have in your hand, then find out what it is off of.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 84chevysilverado

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
I already did no luck. but I just now I typed in conversion u joints in google and I found a company that sells all kinds. Thanks for the help guys
I'D RATHER PUSH A CHEVY THAN DRIVE A FORD

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »
dont waist your money with a company thats makes conversion u joints. i know when i was at autozone we would get people whos u joint didnt match the computers so i would open every box till i found one or knew we didnt have it. napa is good if you know whats year parts you have.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes