Author Topic: A beginners "Build"  (Read 49271 times)

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
Re: A beginners "Build"
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »
 I think after you look at it you will agree with me about the trans.  :) At least I hope.

Here is a very good tip for your wife to use in one of her college classes. Has she had Anatomy and Physiology yet? This is a weeding out class here. I started out with a class consisting of 75 students. Yeah when it ended I was one of 23 that passed! :o I had a "C" but I passed. In any event, if she has not taken this class yet, here is a very big tip. If she has access to a smart phone, download the free app "Speed Anatomy". It is a lot better than flash cards. If she needs help with blood typing let me know. I can show her a chart that was shown to me. It helped a great deal with the class as well. A lot of students struggled and some had to withdraw as this sunk their grade too low for them to pass. Anyhow I thought I would offer. Just let me know.

Now as for the bed... :( I am afraid that I am headed down the road to start with a new floor. I am not happy about it either.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »
She has already taken those two unless there is another round. I think she got an A and B? She did say they were very hard tho. I know she studies like crazy. My only job is to keep Riley entertained which at times is harder than Ashley's classes...LOL!

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Quick update.

Got the cab and dog house lined up and bolted down. Got the bed moved back to make room for fixing the cab corners. Got the water pump installed. I need to find a pulley kit. Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked online but can't find what I want. All I can find is chrome or polished aluminum. Wanting to find all black. Needs to be for a short water pump.

Sorry I didn't get any pics but will take some Sunday.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
Quick nOOb question for all you truck Gods....

I currently have a 350 trans with a 203 case (plan is to install a part time kit). The PO's father has a freshly rebuilt turbo 400 and 205 or 208 case (not sure which one it is) that has less than 500 miles of use. I have the opportunity to purchase the two. What would be a fair price and will it be worth the switch?

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
Here is my opinion FWIW. If he has a 400 with a gear driven 205- buy it. BUY it Now! Do not look back. Your drive shafts may need altered but it will be worth it.  ;D  I have never had the 208 aluminum transfer case but I do know they had a bad reputation for cracked cases around the tail shaft I believe.  I would rather have the 500 pound 203 transfer case with a larger chain. BTW- I am not sure what it weighs but I know it weighs a lot. ;D

As far as price for the transmission and transfer case, the going rate years ago, and I do mean years ago, was $300 for both. What they cost now, considering the age of the parts and the availability or lack of, is something I can't tell you. Maybe someone will be along shortly to shed some light on the subject. Sorry... :-[

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »
 Thanks! I'm stopping by there to drop off some parts for the truck today after work. I'll try to get more info is he is home.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
So it is a 400 with a 208 case. Both were rebuilt and have around 200 miles on them. Not sure what its worth but I think he wants $500. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
If i were to go with the above set up would I need to change or alter my drive shafts?

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »
Sorry Minus, I don't know if you will have to alter your drive shafts. I suspect that you will but I am not certain. I know that is not the help you are looking for. I am thinking that since it is a 400 transmission, it might have came out of a 3/4 ton truck. I am not sure and I could be wrong.

BTW- you might casually ask how long it has been since the transmission was used. I suspect that if it has been sitting for awhile, the bands might need adjusting. A manual transmission can sit for a long time whereas an automatic can't. 

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2014, 06:37:22 AM »
     Thanks for your input Don5. I stopped by to drop off some more pieces to the puzzle last night and asked that very question. Turns out it has been sitting on his shop floor for about 2-3 yrs. I'm sure the 400/208 would be a fine set up for my intended use of the truck but I think i'm going pass on this one. After several days of thinking it over I feel its best to go with my current set up. I really don't want any further delays on this project. Winter is coming fast and I need this truck on the road. I still need to get all my firewood split and moved plus haul in some more.

I'm just going to install the part time kit then maybe look into a different set up later on down the road.

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
Once you install the kit, you will not think about another transmission. I think you have reached the right decision. I had the same combo until I changed it over to a 4 speed. ;D

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
a 4spd would be nice. Was it a tough project? I think something like that would be way over my head... :o

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
Not really. I got the transmission and transfer from one guy and had to get the bracket, pedals and linkage from another guy. Yeah then I had to put them both together and hope that I had everything! ;D I put the pedals and bracket in first and then replaced the transmission and transfer case. I have never looked back.

I know you could do it simply because if you have any questions just post them here and someone will answer. ;D It sure beats back in the day let me tell you! Back then you were on your own or had to rely on a good knowledgeable friend. This is how I learned. I also found a Clymer super manual on these trucks that I considered "the Bible" for these trucks. I have looked around in my garage and my dad's garage for it but have not found it. This manual is no longer in print. However the books on the tech page here are just as good. ;D

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
     I know we are making some progress on this truck but man is it taking forever...LOL! I think watching paint dry on a snails rear would go faster.

Still having trouble finding pulleys but we are making some headway. Started in on the cab corners and discovered the inner cab corners needed replace as well. I actually ordered them from the store on here. I dont know much about this stuff but they looked nice so hopefully they last. Got the outer and inner cut out and started fitting the new ones. I was able to paint the new inner fenders this weekend. They turned out ok I guess. They came primed but I took some scotch brite to them cleaned them and re primed. I put two coats of matte black on after the primer. We'll see how they hold up. The next task was to fix the fenders so I could install the new inners.

I didn't have any metal laying around so I improvised. We still had the old cab laying around so why not reuse it before taking it to the salvage yard. So I cut pieces out of the back of the cab to use as patches. So after a little cutting, hammering, bending and shaping we had pretty decent patches. They are all tacked into place now. Still need finish welding them in clean them up and get some paint on them. Then we can mark and drill the mounting holes for the inner fenders. Hoping to have another good day of progress this weekend. I really wanted to have this thing finished by the end of this month but it's just not going to happen.

Here are a few random pics....

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »
A few more random pics