Author Topic: A beginners "Build"  (Read 49211 times)

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
Re: A beginners "Build"
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
A few more

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
A few more

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2014, 06:26:00 AM »
     Minus, at least you are doing something, more than I can say right now.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2014, 06:56:45 AM »
It's tough Bake with work and putting all new flooring in two bedrooms and our downstairs living room. Plus trying to keep the boss happy...lol Hopefully this weekend we can button a bunch of things up. Hopefully you will find some time as well.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
A small correction to an earlier post.....

I was mistaken on which water pump I have. I had it stuck in my head that mine was a short water pump but its actually a long. I honestly wasn't sure how to tell the difference. Like I said before all this stuff is new to me but after some research on how to tell I can say I've learned something new. Also, I have given up on finding stock crankshaft pulley and water pump pulley. I've looked everyday on ebay, craigslist and various other places with no luck. I called 3 or 4 local junk yards as well. So yesterday I orders a polished aluminum set that should be here next week. A far as I know those are the last pieces to getting this old girl ready to fire for the first time. Still have to mount the gas tank and run fuel lines hopefully this weekend.

Anyway, my apologizes for the mistake.

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
It sounds like you are doing well considering all of the other things going on in your life! ;D I hope the engine sounds good when you get it started!  ;D
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline michaelmags50

• New Users
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2014, 12:16:22 AM »
A small correction to an earlier post.....

I was mistaken on which water pump I have. I had it stuck in my head that mine was a short water pump but its actually a long. I honestly wasn't sure how to tell the difference. Like I said before all this stuff is new to me but after some research on how to tell I can say I've learned something new. Also, I have given up on finding stock crankshaft pulley and water pump pulley. I've looked everyday on ebay, craigslist and various other places with no luck. I called 3 or 4 local junk yards as well. So yesterday I orders a polished aluminum set that should be here next week. I read about security a few days ago and I am still unsure how it all fits together. A far as I know those are the last pieces to getting this old girl ready to fire for the first time. Still have to mount the gas tank and run fuel lines hopefully this weekend.

Anyway, my apologizes for the mistake.

Read through your thread and so far great progress.  Keep it up.  As a newbie myself I'll be seeing how your project is going and learn some stuff along the way too.  Thanks for sharing this with us. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:52:06 PM by michaelmags50 »

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
Thanks Michael!

How's this for some irony...

After I searched for weeks I finally gave up on stock pulleys and bought a polished aluminum set. One of the guys at work came up to me today and said "I hear you are looking for a set of stock pulleys. I have a set laying around you can have for $25".  :o What the.....o well I guess it's things like this that keep life interesting.  ;D

Hope everyone has a great day
Eric

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »
Lol minus I would return the polished set and get the other set for 25 dollars, Eric, I almost made the same mistake, I was ready to order a full blown polished serpentine belt pulley setup from march performance and ran into a guy with used pulleys and ended up making a trade for them.... Just something to think about..... Great progress bud, definitely a nice build buddy!

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
I thought about canceling the order but by the time I found out he had them my order already shipped.

Good new today. My pulleys were scheduled for delivery next week but they came UPS today at work. WOOHOO!! Now with any luck they will be the correct ones...lol

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
It sounds like you are ready to go! ;D I would pick up the ones for $25 "just in case." I know that it is too late but I found a set on ebay. They came off a Chevelle and the guy wanted $75. BTW- I have the same luck when I am looking for something as well. :(
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
A quick update and a few pics from this past Sunday.

I only had a few hours of free time but at least I got to work on her. The new cab corners (inner and outer) are in place. Still need to button the outers up. I can't weld so the PO's dad is doing anything of that sort. Hopefully I can learn a few things about welding by watching and asking lots of questions. I forgot to take pics but will take some this weekend. Got the new fuel pump and push rod installed. Installed the new pulleys.

I need to learn to pay better attention when ordering parts. I thought the pulley kit came with the power steering pulley. However it came with the alternator pulley. No biggie I guess. I switched the alternator pulley so it will match. Now I just need to order one for the power steering. Also I ordered a new bracket for the alt. I thought I ordered a polished aluminum bracket to match the pulleys but when I opened the box it was chrome. Will be kinda funny opening the hood and the bracket will be the only chrome piece...lol  Also installed the new alt. Well I just have it finger tight for now.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
a couple more.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
You know Minus.... Your build is called a beginners build..... But I don't see why....  Your addressing a lot of issues.... Not asking for a TON of help..... And making major progress,,,, love the build man

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Thank you Sir...but I have to give credit to the PO and his dad. They've helped a bunch and pointed me in the right direction when needed. Supposed to work on the truck this sunday. Hopefully we can get the engine bay buttoned up. I doubt we'll get her fired up but should be getting close.