Author Topic: Wipers!!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline ron.parkinson.5

• New Users
Wipers!!
« on: March 23, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »
Hey there everybody- I am new to this site- My name is Ron, and I am from midcoast Maine. Looks like a great group here! Anyway, on to the technical stuff. So this is the deal. I have a 1986 GMC truck. Its just a mud truck. When you turn on the wipers they are terribly SLOW and if the windshield is dry I have to help them by hand. That is one issue. The second is this- when I shut them off they dont shut off. If I play with the switch and get it just right I can get them off, but its not easy. It almost seems to me like I need a motor AND switch. What do you guys think by the sound of things? I looked into the switch and it looks like a little bit of a pain- I wonder if I can put an older style switch in the dash- this has the one on the multifunction switch.... what to you think? Thanks guys!! Ron in Maine~

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Wipers!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:27:55 PM »
as in the wipers never stop wiping?

Offline SuburbanHunter

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
I'll bet he means they work like mine do... mine are so slow they barely make it across the windshield and when I turn them off they just stop wherever they happen to be. Its like a game to time the switch so that they stop someplace near the point where they are supposed to stop.

But I might be wrong... On my truck those issues are so far down the project list that I am looking forward to going to seeing how others have fixed the problem.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
Do you have delay wipers? Clean the connections at the wiper motor. Check it's mounting bolts as well. Lubricate the wiper transmission pivots.

If you still have issues and have delay, bypass the module and direct connect and see if that helps.

You can rewire the factory system to operate more efficiently but you need to do your preliminary checks first.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fxrsrider

• Registered Users
  • '75 C10, 385ci, TH350, Positraction, 5" drop
    • pauldemarcostudios.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:51:09 PM »
I just solved a set of wiper issues on my '75.

1st.....do everything that VileZambonie just said.  He's on point.

I had the same "If I play with the switch and get it just right I can get them off, but its not easy." problem.  Changed the switch and the problem was solved.  (I don't have delay) got a replacement switch on Ebay for cheap.

If it's a Mud truck like you say....then refer to VileZambonie's recommendations