Author Topic: EGR vavle question  (Read 2925 times)

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
EGR vavle question
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
can you plug the hose that comes out of the EGR valve solenoid and make the truck run better? reason i ask is because my Service Engine Soon light comes on and then i test it for trouble codes with my test key and the egr valve code comes up and so some one told me i could plug the hose that comes out of the egr solenoid right before it gets to the egr valve itself and it should help the engine run better. because when my engine is cold it runs crappy, lugs down and then when it warms up it runs like a dream. any suggestions.  

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
EGR vavle question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »
so no one has heard of this??? makes me feel smart:hat  

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
EGR vavle question
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't think it will make a difference as to how well it runs cold.  How about removing the two nuts holding the egr valve in position and replacing the valve?

I bet you have a lot of carbon built up on the inards of the valve.  YOu'll see it once you remove it.

SgtDel  

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
EGR vavle question
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
i have replaced it once before but i guess it didn't help, came from auto-zone, so go figure. and i have taken it off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and that doesn't seem to help either. i was just wondering what ya'll thought. probably will get a new one soon.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: EGR vavle question
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
You need to clean out the hole that it sits in.  That may be causing the trouble..

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
EGR vavle question
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »
how do ya clean it out, thought you couldn't clean it.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »
Did you unplug the vacuum line to the egr valve to see if it in fact is the reason the truck runs poorly? If the egr solenoid is hanging open it will apply vacuum to the valve opening thus making the truck run bad. If it were carbon in the valve it wouldn't only do it when it's cold.

As far as diagnosing why the SES light comes on for the egr circuit, it's really easy to test.
1) make sure you hve vacuum to the solenoid.
2) apply a vacuum source to the egr valve with the truck running, it should make it run really bad or even stall.
3) test the solenoid, make sure with the key on there is B+ at the solenoid. The other terminal should have ground only when The ECM energizes it. The ECM will energize the EGR solenoid (EGR "ON") when the engine is warm and above idle while driving. So to test it just apply a ground to the other side of the solenoid and vacuum should flow to the valve.  

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10