Author Topic: 85 K10 windows and stuff...  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Patman

85 K10 windows and stuff...
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »
Howdy folks,

So, Ive got the ole girl (85 K10 350/700R4/NP208/33x12.5x15 BFG K02s) running and the Trans and Transfer Case are being rebuilt as we speak. I pick the truck up on Wednesday - WooHoo! Assuming everything works out with the rebuild ill be tackling the doors and the headlights later this week.

The windows: My windows are stupid slow and only speed up to obnoxiously slow when I mash the gas peddle. That said Im going to install the heavy duty window wiring harness that   sells

Question: Should I do the window motors too, while I’m at it?

Regardless, I’ll be replacing the strikers to help the doors close better. And, I am considering replacing the door handle (interior) to see if that will take up the sag in the handle(s). But only if I end up having to replace the motors. If so do y’all reckon that I just go ahead and replace the regulators too.   quality? Your thoughts?

Headlights: Theyy are as dim as I was in high school. Which, lets face it, is just unsafe. Not exactly decided on what headlights to get but I will be doing the headlight wiring kit from  . I have the dual headlight set up, the top and bottom are both headlights, not the double headlight in the top spot configuration. Any recommendations on headlights/bulbs combo? What about installation of the headlight wiring kit?

Im not the brightest bulb in the pack but ill get the job done. Still, doors for some reason, intimidate me.

ALso, the vent windows are in good shape, all be it a bit rusty. I watched a video on YouTube by the   guy and he did a full on rebuild of the internals. Id be interested in any experiences or advice yall’s have to offer.

Thanks!

85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

Re: 85 K10 windows and stuff...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:42:32 PM »
I’m pretty sure somewhere on this site their are instructions and diagram to add relays to your power windows to speed them up a lot I did mine several years ago and now they work like brand new. Also on the stikers get some red pex used for plumbing and cut it the length of the sticker and either take the sticker out and slide on or just slice it and put it on without taking the striker off the doors will latch like brand new they are just missing the plastic bushing they came with originally. Just my two cents hope it helps

Offline Patman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 04:38:35 AM »
First off - Thanks forthe response.

Question: Did you just replace the relay or the motor and/or regulator as well?

As for the striker resolution, brilliant!

Thanks!

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »
My truck didn’t have relays at all so I added them into the setup, didn’t replace the motors and all the relay does is give full twelve volts to the motor.
Hope this helps

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
Strikers are under $10 bucks a piece.

As far as diagnosing your slow power windows, I recommend running your current feed directly to the motor to see if there is any improvement before you waste time and money. If there is no improvement, the problem is mechanical or the motor is tired etc.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »
Welcome from SoCal!

I think its a voltage problem- give away is that they rise to the 'obnoxious' when the idle rises, or when there is more DC current.

I also suspect that your alternator is not putting out full voltage by the dim headlights. I mean, stock lights are kind of yellow, but I would check the output. 

Take VZ's advice and bypass the multiple connection points between the motor and the battery.

If that juices it up, then you might go the relay approach, it bypasses all the current going through the door switch.

Keep in mind that at that age, the factory lube is pretty dry, so look to slick her up with some grease on the elevator.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Patman

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:20 AM »
You see, this is exactly why I love this forum!!

THank so much guys.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »
As others say and you will want to replace your channel felt in your window as being dry and dirty will also lead to slow windows. Check all grounds. Battery to engine. Engine to frame and engine to body for voltage drops.