Author Topic: Sloppy steering!!!  (Read 39295 times)

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
Sloppy steering!!!
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:50:13 PM »
Well.  Finally got most of my stuff fixed except my horrible steering.  When you turn the wheel a 1/4 of the way it does absolutely nothing.  When you turn it 1/2 way it finally starts to work.  What are your suggestions?  How could it be this bad?  Thanks
1975 Chevy k20 6" lift 35" BFG MT's True Dual Exhausts Radical Cam

1980 GMC 2500 Parts Truck

Offline JJSZABO

Re: Sloppy steering!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:01:21 AM »
I hate sloppy steering - but saying that wont help your problem.  The gear box (mounted on the frame rail) has an adjustment in it.  I don't remember the exact fix but I have it at home in my (factory) shop manual.  I can get it for you.

Any time I ran into this problem, I replaced the gear box.  I hate messing with the adjustment - it may or may not work.  It just depends where the slop is.

Can you tell where the slop is comming from?

Have someone in the truck turn the wheel very slowly and watch the rag joint to see when the steering engages.  Try to pin it down and let us know.

Then again it may not be in the steering at all - check all tie rods (inner and outer), ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm for wear.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:03:36 AM by JJSZABO »
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
Alright, I will do.  Hopefully it is an easy fix.  If I had to guess it is just everything that is sloppy.  If you could get the adjustment for me that would be great.  Thanks again.

Offline ccz145a

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:20 AM »
I would be interested in the steering gear adjustment procedure, too. Sloppy steering makes for an exiting ride sometimes, and I really don't need any more exitement in my life :D

Thanks.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
I'll post tonight

I suggest reading (this is what I did):
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chassis_suspension/frontend.htm

Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »
I 'am not sure if this will help but I just read an article in a magazine maybe fourwheeler or 4wheel and offroad on how to rebuild the steering box it also shows how to adjust the set screw in top of the box. Had to be a recent article though. If i find it I'll post it for you
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
I am assuming we are talking about Nova's 4x4 truck...
Check what Jeff listed and get back with up on what you find?  Check the frame to see if it is cracked behind the steering box.  1/2 a turn to me is A LOT of slop, I don't think you can fix that, with the box adjustment. 

Here is the procedure that GM Saginaw Division recommends to adjust the steering box.

Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft, completely back off the sector shaft adjusting screw on the sector shaft cover.

Center steering on the "high point" then attach an inch lb torque wrench to the steering wheel shaft, the torque required to keep the shaft moving for one complete turn should be 1/2 - 2 in lbs.

If the torque is not within these limits, loosen the thrust bearing locknut or tighten valve sleeve adjuster plug to bring the preload within limits.

Tighten the thrust bearing locknut and recheck preload.
Slowly rotate the steering shaft several times, then center the steering on high point.

Now, turn the sector shaft adjusting screw until a steering shaft torque of 3 - 6 in lbs more is required to move the worm through the center point.

Tighten the sector shaft locknut to 35 ft lbs and recheck the sector mesh adjustment.

Total steering gear preload should be 14 in lbs or less.

Install the pitman arm and replace back in vehicle.

NOTE: To try and adjust the sector shaft screw without doing the preceding will DAMAGE the steering gear.
Most of the play is not in the sector shaft adjustment, it is the spool valve area.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
My suggestion is to do a "dry park check" of the steering system first. Have an assistant rock the steering back and fourth with the wheels on the ground and observe any axial and lateral play from all of the components.

Check the steering shaft to worm shaft for play in the rag joint.

Check the steering box to frame and frame horns for flexing.

Check the pitman arm to drag link.

Check both tie rod ends on the drag link

check the tie rod ends at both ends of the center link

Check your ball joints - jack up the front axle and rock the tire with a pry bar up and down (6 and 12 o'clock)

Don't even bother with a lash adjustment in your gear box until you've fixed anything else.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »
Thanks guys :)  I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me would pipe in.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
Holy crap.  Theres a bunch of posts.  Anyway.  It is late now.  It is about a 1/4 way (of a full 360 turn) of slop.  It does (I think) needs an alignment.  I was told that the axle moves when I turn the tires sitting still.  Frame isn't cracked either...I already checked it awhile ago.  I will probably do the procedure tomorrow.  Thanks again.

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »
err, if your axle moves i would be checking your leaf springs/shackles ASAP.  that isn't safe at all.  but as for your steering slop, you can adjust it but from what i've seen that is only a temp fix.  the reason it needs adjustment is because the gearbox is worn out, and it won't take long to wear more...i'd just replace it...
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 12:30:27 AM »
Yeah, I know the axle moves.  It kind of moves in a freaky or weird way.  It will kind of tilt back and the front suspension will squat down I guess.  It is weird.  You will see (where the driveshaft comes out of) move up and down when you turn the tires.  I am pretty sure the shackles are fine.  I will definitely give it a check though.  Anyway.  The bottom of the gear box (where the arm attaches to it) it goes up and down a little bit too when I move the steering wheel fast back and forth.  I checked my steering arm, and everything that moves the wheels back and forth or whatever goes into the gear box and it all looked just fine.  Nothing was wiggling (you should have seen the tie rods on my ranger...yikes!!!!!!) and moved tightly.

Anyway.  Not sure if I mentioned this either or if it has anything to do with it, but it doesn't steer that sharp either.  I took a couple of pics a while ago and that is as sharp as it turns.  I might just end up replacing the gear box.  Thanks for your help.

Here's the sharpest turning left (ignore the blinkers!!!)

Here's the sharpest turning right (again, ignore the blinker)

So, what do you think?  Just a really worn out gear box?  What should I do to the frame if I am going to replace the gear box...like somehow reinforce it?

Thanks, Nova

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:02 AM »
if your frame and all your steering components check out fine (tie rod ends, drag link, ball joints, etc), then it sounds like the gearbox.  did you ever check the steering stops i mentioned before?  the little bolts that are on the spindle assembly, towards the bottom?  you'll see 'em if you look in between where the spindle assembly connects to the axle tube assembly...that's what limits your max steering radius...make sure that's not stopping you...
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59:30 PM »
Was the correct steering arm installed when your truck was lifted? If not your turning radius will suck.

I wouldn't replace the steering box unless you verify it's toasted. Rock the steering wheel with the wheels pointed straight ahead. Observe the steering shaft rotating back and fourth vs the movement of the pitman arm. If there is too much play make a witness mark on the lash adjuster, jam nut, and gear box cover. You can loosen the 5/8 jam nut while holding the lash adjuster with an allen wrench. Then turn the lash adjuster in while your assistant rocks the steering wheel. Once the lash is taken up you will see more response from the pitman arm in relation to the steering shaft. DO NOT over tighten it. If you screw up you can go back to your witness marks and start over.

If there is play in the pitman arm at the center link replace that b4 you mess w/ the gear box.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline nova801428

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »
if your frame and all your steering components check out fine (tie rod ends, drag link, ball joints, etc), then it sounds like the gearbox.  did you ever check the steering stops i mentioned before?  the little bolts that are on the spindle assembly, towards the bottom?  you'll see 'em if you look in between where the spindle assembly connects to the axle tube assembly...that's what limits your max steering radius...make sure that's not stopping you...

Oops, did not check those.  I will later.  Thanks though

Was the correct steering arm installed when your truck was lifted? If not your turning radius will suck.

I wouldn't replace the steering box unless you verify it's toasted. Rock the steering wheel with the wheels pointed straight ahead. Observe the steering shaft rotating back and fourth vs the movement of the pitman arm. If there is too much play make a witness mark on the lash adjuster, jam nut, and gear box cover. You can loosen the 5/8 jam nut while holding the lash adjuster with an allen wrench. Then turn the lash adjuster in while your assistant rocks the steering wheel. Once the lash is taken up you will see more response from the pitman arm in relation to the steering shaft. DO NOT over tighten it. If you screw up you can go back to your witness marks and start over.

If there is play in the pitman arm at the center link replace that b4 you mess w/ the gear box.

I did get the correct steering arm.  It looked exactly the same but just taller.  Thanks for the good advice.  I will have to definitely try that soon.  I don't have a buddy to help right now...so I'll have to wait.  Do you think it turns sharp enough?  Thanks