Author Topic: How hard is it to install a new blinker bar?  (Read 7131 times)

Offline Skunksmash

How hard is it to install a new blinker bar?
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »
You know, the blinker bar that sticks out of the steering column, its right by the steering wheel. On my truck all the little symbols for all it's functions have rubbed off, and i am restoring the truck as best i can so that would be something i would like to replace. I found a new bar at my local NAPA auto parts store. They have it there for $65. Is it hard to take the old one out, or put the new one in?

Offline JRConnieK10

Re: How hard is it to install a new blinker bar?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »
If i'am not mistaken it just pulls out and pushes right back in.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
Well i heard someone say that you had to drop the steering column to do this. I was just trying to figure out if this was true. If not, thats great. But anyone ever done it? If so was it difficult?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:48:28 AM »
Are you talking about the lever? As long as there's no cruise control it pulls out straight.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:34:27 AM »
There is cruise control on the bar. Is there anything special that has to be done to change out a cruise control blinker bar?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:42:56 AM by Skunksmash »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:37:35 AM »
you have to unhook the cruise control wire, connect a piece of mechanics wire to the end and snake it through. Then you have to fish the new one back down through on the wire. It's easier to do if the column is out so if you are removing it to paint it etc, change it then.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
HMM. Would you say that it can be done with the column on, or is it just really best to drop it cause it is too hard otherwise?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »
You could try it, worse case is you cruise won't work.  It won't be easy though.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 04:30:41 AM »
Well, now i am wondering if the replacement will even work. It does not look like the old one. It looks newer style. The old one has the typical chrome on about half of it, the new one is all black and more round and bubbly looking. I guess that all the functions are the same, but i would hate to buy the thing for 64 bucks and not have it work correctly. I guess the only way to find out is just to pull the old one off and see if all the connections are the same. The new one only has one wire coming out of it and it just has a forked shaped connector on the end of the wire. So i guess as long as the old one is the exact same, the new one should work fine. Any thoughts on this? Does it seem like i left anything out?

Now i would also like to ask if there is anywhere that yall know of that sells a new horn button? You know how the horn buttons are always getting those line cracks in them. And they just pop right off so it would be super easy to replace

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »
The replacement wiper stalk should work find.  The columns were used on just about ever vehicle GM made from 73-92ish.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Are you talking about the lever? As long as there's no cruise control it pulls out straight.
So what year did GM start keying our stalks, to where you have to rotate the stalk(either roll towards or away from you), before you could pull them straight out???   All of the ones I have played with over the years, '79-'02 needed to have the stalk in the proper keying position, before you could remove them.....
Well, now i am wondering if the replacement will even work. It does not look like the old one. It looks newer style. The old one has the typical chrome on about half of it, the new one is all black and more round and bubbly looking. I guess that all the functions are the same, but i would hate to buy the thing for 64 bucks and not have it work correctly. I guess the only way to find out is just to pull the old one off and see if all the connections are the same. The new one only has one wire coming out of it and it just has a forked shaped connector on the end of the wire. So i guess as long as the old one is the exact same, the new one should work fine. Any thoughts on this? Does it seem like i left anything out?

Now i would also like to ask if there is anywhere that yall know of that sells a new horn button? You know how the horn buttons are always getting those line cracks in them. And they just pop right off so it would be super easy to replace
GM offered a Chrome and a non chrome(Black) stalk for all models with or without Cruise, you just got make sure you order one for Cruise(a Chrome one typically costs more $79 Give or Take, as opposed to the $64)....  I would also recommend that you make sure to match up the connector at the end of the stalk, cause that was changed over the years(at least with GM's Car Models)....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten