Author Topic: add a leaf question  (Read 3880 times)

Offline tony tt

• New Users
add a leaf question
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
hey all...new to the forum. just finally got myself an 85 gmc 4x4. it already has a 4" lift on it,,but i would like a little more. would a tuff country add a leaf up front do anything? would i still get 2" of lift? i want to keep this truck as low buck as possible. it will never see the road,,and be strictly off road. i also am not overly concerned about ride.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
Re: add a leaf question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
Welcome to the site!

I haven't heard of anyone adding an AAL in the front, they are usually added for saggin' rear ends.  I don't see why you couldn't add one.  It's hard to say how much lift you'll get out of any AAL.  If it were going in the back, 2" is about right -- but you may get a lot less in the front since you have all of the engine weight. 

Offline dirtmod0

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »
I have a 80 k10 short bed. I am currently debating buying the add a leafs for the front. There site says they have front and rear with different part numbers. I will most likely call them and see what the actual lift will be. If you do get these please let me know and I will do the same.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
typically between an 1.5" and 2"
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline amanderson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:41:26 AM »
I've been thinking about putting add a leafs on my stock truck. If I were to put them on front and back, would the truck still set level? And would I have to change a bunch of stuff like shocks,pittman arm or other stuff? I just want to be able to clear 33 inch tires,no off roading though.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:51 PM »
Years ago I bought an 84 K 10 that someone had put 2.5" blocks in the back, and used angle iron, mad box tube out of it to put blocks in the front. I took them out, and added two positive arch rear springs in between the stock front springs. Sat perfect, it used to sit a bit high in the front. Now its level. Plus a few years later I hung a 7.5' Fisher plow on it. When the plow was raised it only dropped about an inch. Also drove about a hundred times better on the road!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs