Author Topic: Removing stock stereo  (Read 22820 times)

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
Removing stock stereo
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
Before I dig into it, what steps are required to remove the stock stereo from the dash?

Is it just Dash trim and then A/C ducting under the dash?
1979 Chevrolet Bonanza / 305 / LWB

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Removing stock stereo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
knobs, dash bezel, nuts, support in the back ,antenna and cables. Push AC duct out of the way and it drops right out. What year is it?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
It's a '79

Offline enaberif

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
Watch your bloody hands and fingers... There is a lot of sharp metal and stuff to stab you!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »
What are you replacing it with?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
I'm not replacing it. 

I love the factory Delco (?) AM/FM. I am going to remove it, take it apart, clean the pots and other electronics, shine it up and then add a 1/8" input so I can use my Phone/MP3 player with it.

Once I have the input installed I can even connect a mini Bluetooth receiver.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:40:15 AM »
Nice. post your progress and good luck
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »
I'm not replacing it. 

I love the factory Delco (?) AM/FM. I am going to remove it, take it apart, clean the pots and other electronics, shine it up and then add a 1/8" input so I can use my Phone/MP3 player with it.

Sounds impressive! I'd be very interested in doing or having it preformed on my stock radio......take a lot of pics.
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
On my diesel, I had issues getting it around the pedal brackets.
I don't remember my '79 having pedal brackets in the way, but i did that 5-6 years ago.
Other than that, like Zambonie said, it's pretty straight forward.

Also, technically the plug is a 3.5mm plug. It would convert to approx. 1/8", however the industry term is 3.5mm jack.

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:27 PM »
Sounds impressive! I'd be very interested in doing or having it preformed on my stock radio......take a lot of pics.

Hey - I finally found a write up for the same stereo that I have. 

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447435

I have already removed mine and cleaned the (many) moving parts, so everything moves freely and no more crackle in the volume knob.  So I think I will be doing this mod in the next day or so.  Will let you know how it turns out!

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
bit elder then mine......same principle, i think.......hec ya.....keep it coming

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 09:20:45 PM »
Couldn't wait!  Ran out to the shop after dinner and installed the Aux Input to my old Delco.  Didn't take too long with the instructions from the thread I linked in my last post.  Tested it and it WORKS GREAT! 

Tomorrow I will reinstall in the dash and I will mount the input on the wall of the inside of the open area when you open the ashtray.  I will remove the ashtray and build some sort of mount that will hold the telephone or iPod, and use the cigarette lighter as a charging source.

My plan is to load my MP3 player full of songs from 1979, so when I roll in my '79, I am IN 1979!

Gotta love the internet for stuff like this!

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »
Couldn't wait!  Ran out to the shop after dinner and installed the Aux Input to my old Delco.  Didn't take too long with the instructions from the thread I linked in my last post.  Tested it and it WORKS GREAT! 

Tomorrow I will reinstall in the dash and I will mount the input on the wall of the inside of the open area when you open the ashtray.  I will remove the ashtray and build some sort of mount that will hold the telephone or iPod, and use the cigarette lighter as a charging source.

My plan is to load my MP3 player full of songs from 1979, so when I roll in my '79, I am IN 1979!

Gotta love the internet for stuff like this!

Well.....I usta like ya.........sounds like my doc......keep givin reasons not to smoke......lol.....stay at it.......sounds great

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »

I'm not replacing it. 

Ok, how do i connect a bluetooth to mine, i have a plain ac delco am/fm and all i get is fm stations and i need to hear michael savage on my way home from work, he's am stations only. 

I was going to by a bluetooth speaker from bestbuy and hang from mirror, but would rather go through my 1977 radio. I installed a killer aftermarket factory replica center dash speaker and it sounds great. No am stations come in, probably because im nowhere near any city.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »
Ok, how do i connect a bluetooth to mine, i have a plain ac delco am/fm and all i get is fm stations and i need to hear michael savage on my way home from work, he's am stations only. 

I was going to by a bluetooth speaker from bestbuy and hang from mirror, but would rather go through my 1977 radio. I installed a killer aftermarket factory replica center dash speaker and it sounds great. No am stations come in, probably because im nowhere near any city.

Well this link is where I got the instructions for adding the Aux Input. - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447435

Once you do that you should be able to use one of these little Bluetooth receivers through that input.