Author Topic: Rear Drum Brake Tutorial?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline bzach

Rear Drum Brake Tutorial?
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
Hey y'all, I've been lurking since last Feb when I got my '78 C10 SWB, now finally signed up for an account.  TLDR: is there a good rear drum brake job/adjustment tutorial somewhere? 

Took my bucket to a shop to get a posi and 3.73s installed, and they did the rear brakes as well.  Something seems a bit off, and the driver's side adjuster for sure needs to be replaced so while I'm in there I want to go through everything.  This being my first set of drum brakes, I have no idea how things come apart.  Could someone point me to a good thread that details disassembly and adjustment?  Thanks in advance!

Here's some more info about Truck Showalter:
400 small block with a mystery cam (PO didn't have much info about it)
TH350 soon to be a 700r4, as soon as I can get the thing rebuilt
Lowered 2" all around
Slowly working through cleaning her up: replaced the gas tank, reupholstered the bench with new foam, new AVS2 carb, cleaned and polished valve covers/intake, and many more weekend items.  She almost leaks no oil now!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Drum Brake Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:04:51 AM »
Measure your shoes when you take the drum off so that you know which ones to get parts for. Order the good hardware kit that comes with almost everything. I will be doing a video on drum brakes next week and will share it when I do.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bzach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the info and replies.  That exploded view especially is very useful.  I did measure my shoes before this so I managed to order the correct parts for once. 

Took care of everything yesterday, replaced the broken self adjustment assembly on the drivers side, and found a leaking wheel cylinder on the passenger side.  Got a new cylinder in, cleaned it all up, and put everything back together with new drums; hopefully that solves my locking up issue.  Overall it actually wasn't as bad as people make it seem.  I also found a great  YouTube video called "How to replace drum brakes, wheel cylinders and front pads GM" that helped out a lot.